Chapter 10 | reflecting

Nathalie was feeling awful today. Just when she was starting to feel decent, her health plummeted again. She was still able to drag herself out of bed and do things, but she had the worlds worst headache and if she moved too fast she felt dizzy.

Gabriel was very wrapped up in villaning lately, the two hasn't spoken much. She was using the excuse of being sick to distance herself from him, and he seemed to be buying it. God knows what he was doing right now, locked away in his office. That time he could be spending with his son, but no, he had to let power go to his head.

After a while of trying to get daily work done, she just couldn't handle anymore and decided it was best to conserve her energy and just go to sleep early. So she ran herself a hot bath to clean up get ready for bed, and just let herself relax in it. Her glasses sat on the bathroom counter by the sink and her pyjamas hung over the towel rack waiting to be put on. She lay there, just soaking.

Just thinking.

She had so much to think about. She had to break the news about Gabriel to Adrien somehow, and sometime soon. But he was getting so much happier recently and she didn't want to ruin that. She knew it'd be better in the long run, the sooner he knew, the sooner she could get him out of there. But it was so hard to see him so upset. She didn't want to ruin the happiness he was just starting to grasp after everything that'd happened to him.

Loosing his mother absolutely broke him, and only now was he starting to pick up the pieces. If that hurt him so bad, she knew finding out his father is a literal super villain would hurt just as much. But she knew, she knew she had to tell him.

Sighing she sunk under the water, holding her breath and trying to block all the noise of the world out for a moment to clear her head. She stayed there until she ran out of breath, and resurfaced. But it failed to clear her head one bit.

It was when she was feeling stressed and upset like this her mind always wandered back to Emilie. Emilie always knew what to do, what to say, how to make things better. She remembered one time in particular...

"Come ooonnn Nat! Just a little longer!" Emilie whined playfully.

"I'm sorry, I just feel really... sick. I need to go home" Nathalie replied.

Parties were never her scene, and she only really went along because Emilie would drag her out. But this time she regretted going out at all.

"You feel sick? How?" Emilie asked.

"I think someone spiked the punch, I feel tipsy like... like I'm gonna throw up" Nathalie replied.

Emilies playfulness quickly turned to concern, knowing her best friend couldn't really handle alcohol well. She'd had a bit to drink herself that night, but not so much she was shitfaced. That and she could handle her alcohol much better.

"Oh I'm sorry! I didn't think- ok you're right, it's pretty late anyway. Let's head home" Emilie said, wrapping an arm around Nathalie.

Nathalie's heart skipped a beat, although even slightly tipsy she didn't dare show any signs of romantic affection. Emilie was already with a man after all. Emilie took the wheel, driving the two back to her place. She didn't want to leave Nathalie alone all night so she figured she'd have her stay the night.

"Are you sure you're not allergic to anything in the drinks? You seem worse than simple drunkenness" She asked, carefully navigating her way home avoiding speed bumps that would shake up her friend.

"Honestly I might be... I feel so nauseous..." Nathalie replied.

"Hmm... I hope you don't get any worse. I wouldn't want you to end up in the ER"

When they reached her home, Emilie took Nathalie inside and made sure she was ok. She gave her some pyjamas to sleep in, had her take a quick shower and sat her at the vanity so she could dry her hair for her. Nathalie felt so at ease as Emilie lovingly ran her fingers through her hair as she dried it off and brushed it out, putting it in a plat to stay out of the way and un-tangled as she slept.

She'd given her some medicine to combat the nausea and some snacks to sober up.

"Thank you Em..." Nathalie smiled, watching her beloved skilfully do her hair in the mirror.

"Don't mention it ok? And I'm sorry for dragging you out. I didn't think there'd be any spiking going on. Plus I know you're not super into part-" Emilie rambled.

"Hey, it's ok. I actually had fun up until I the end there. If you're there parties are always fun"

"Oh you flatterer! I am the life of the party though aren't I?" Emilie joked.

Finishing up her hair, Emilie tied it off with a hair band and turned Nathalie to face her.

"There we are, it won't tangle this way. You know the red streak looks so good on you, it weaves in with the darkness of your natural colour so well" she complimented.

"Thank you" Nathalie smiled.

"Now go lie down, I'm going to take a shower too. If you feel any worse just shout for me and I'll rush you to a doctor"

"I think I'll be alright now, can I take one of the pillows off your bed?"

"Honey take the whole bed! I can take the sofa tonight it's ok"

"But this is your house, your bed" Nathalie replied.

"And you're the one who feels sick, take it Nat" Emilie replied.

She hesitated, but Emilie insisted. So Nathalie took the bed, and tried to fall asleep listening to the shower running in the other room while Emilie cleaned herself up after a night of getting covered in glittery makeup. When she was done, she tried to stay quiet as she pulled her hair back to sleep in. Although Nathalie was still awake.

She felt Emilie reach to grab one of the pillows when a sudden boost of confidence rushed over her.

"Em"

"Oh sorry did I wake you?" She replied.

"No I haven't even fallen asleep yet. Just get in there's room for both of us, plus I feel bad taking your bed" Nathalie said.

Emilie just smiled and sighed, getting into bed on the other side of the king sized mattress.

"Typical Nathalie, always feels bad about something" she teased.

"Shush, it's your bed I can feel bad" Nathalie replied.

"Well don't ok? But yeah this is king sized there's room for both of us. Plus we're friends anyway, it's like a sleepover"

That night they fell asleep together, and luckily the nausea didn't get to the point of throwing up. But Emilies suggestion was right, Nathalie did end up being allergic to an ingredient in the alcohol the punch was spiked with. If she'd had any more it would have ended badly, and if Emilie wasn't there to help her it could have ended badly too.

Nathalie leaned on the side of the bathtub, reminiscing about Emilies kindness, their relationship, how close they were. She missed her, she missed her so much.

It made her wonder... what would Adrien say when he eventually found out that she'd been in love with his mum the whole time?