21 - My Best Friends' Wedding

Começar do início

My breathing evened out as we kept eye contact. Neither of us daring to look away. But eventually, someone had to.

I focus back in on two of my best friends as Logan was handed his vows. He cleared his throat, holding onto Nora's hand with one hand while the other held the piece of card stock paper.

"The day I met you, we were eight, so I don't really remember it." He says as everyone chuckles. "But, I remember the day I fell in love with you, like it was yesterday." He says and I feel tears coming again.

"We we're seventeen, walking home from a gas station because you're car wouldn't turn over, so we had to run by my house to get cables, because I was a stupid teenage boy that thought I would never need them."

I wipe under my eyes as he continues. "You were yelling at me the whole way there, because apparently it was my fault I didn't have cables. Even though you didn't have any either." Everyone chuckles again.

"You called Brinley and tried to get her to be on your side. She just laughed, that little laugh she does that scares the shit out of anyone." He says and the priest clears his throat even though everyone else chuckles. "She told you to shut up and own up to your own problems." Nora and I laugh, both of us wiping our eyes.

"We all lived close to each other. There wasn't a day that went by that we weren't at each other's house, getting into trouble. But, this was the first time it had really been just the two of us. Of course, it started raining. You about screamed and ripped your hair out."

"Somehow, I managed to keep you.. Somewhat under control until we made it back to my house. We walked all the way to one of the barns. We had mud all over our jeans and boots, but that wasn't anything new."

"I slid the barn door open, turned the light on. And there was a baby sheep, standing in the middle of the dirt, shaking. The back door hadn't gotten shut and it had found it's way in there. It had just been born a couple of hours ago and it's mom wouldn't take it in. So, you did what you always did. You picked it up, grabbed my hand and drug me back outside."

"We walked all the way back to that gas station with a baby sheep tucked into your jacket. The clerk thought you were insane. I thought you were awesome. I didn't know it then, but that was the day that I fell in love with you, and I haven't stopped since." He says and I try not to let out a huge sob.

"Oh my God, I can't compete with that." Nora says, sobbing as we all chuckle. "Okay.." She takes a deep breath. "Just give me a minute." She says, trying to pull herself together.

"Growing up, I always thought of you as a brother. You know, the kind that's always just there and annoying, but would totally kick someone's ass if need be." She says and I laugh. "I'm pretty sure Brinley and Emery will agree with me when I say that, I had no idea why you hung out with us. You just kind of showed up one day."

"I always acted annoyed, and frustrated. But it was really to hide the fact that I had a huge crush on you. Of course, I couldn't let you know that. It was too embarrassing, and you definitely had cooties." She says as everyone laughs.

"Brinley once told me that, if you love someone, it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks. If you love them, that's all that matters. So, I did the only thing I could. I ignored every jealous girl in the hallway, I walked up to you, and I kissed you." Someone in the back cheers. "It was all a dare really. Brinley said I wouldn't do it, so I did." She says as they both look at me.

"You're welcome." I whisper, giving Logan a thumbs up.

"My mom used to tell me stories, fairytales, when I was younger. Then, I got older, and I didn't believe in them. But, one day that all changed. So, thanks Brinley." She says, looking back at me again. "I love you Logan. I've already spent most of my life with you, and I can't wait to spend the rest."

She says and I start crying again. Emery rubs my back.

"The rings?" The priest asks and Aaron steps forward, handing them the rings.

"Logan, repeat after me."

They do all that and say their "I Do's".

"By the power invested in me, I now pronounce you man and wife." The priest says as grins cover all of our faces.

"Kiss your bride." He says, shutting his Bible.

Logan wastes no time in grabbing Nora's face and slamming his lips onto hers. He leans slightly forward as she dips back, wrapping her arms around his neck. The groomsmen all hoop and holler.

They pull away, turning towards the aisle. They start to make their way down the stairs before Nora and Logan both turn to me, holding up their left hands and pointing to their rings with their mouths gaped open. I shake my head while laughing.

I was getting drunk tonight!

*

"I feel like I'm about to explode." I say, resting my hand on my stomach as I let out a deep breath and a groan.

"Sameeee." Nora groans, taking a tip of her champagne, the glass making it muffled. "Brinley, I'm married!" She says as we squeal for the hundredth time tonight.

"Hey! Me too!" Logan says, grinning at us.

"Alright, can we get the party started. We gotta a lot of slow dancing before it's an open dance floor." Emery whines.

"When it's your wedding, you can skip all of that!" Logan quips.

Emery laughs before her expression turns serious, "No."

Just then, the DJ's voice echoes through the speakers, "Alright, let's get our bride and groom out on the floor!"

Word Count: 2,068