3 - Dirtbag Fiancé

Mr. Perfectly Fine - Taylor Swift

"So, you're engaged?" I asked, nodding to the literal rock, on her left hand

She slightly tenses, "Um.. yeah." She says, clearing her throat.

Obviously, that's a sore subject. Which shouldn't be, should it?

"What's his name?" I decide to push, seeing as though Charlie was engrossed in her own little world with the little girl beside us.

"Ethan.." She says, quietly.

"You don't seem too excited. Most girls obsess over their weddings." I say.

"It's a little hard to be excited when he's sleeping with your cousin." She says, instantly shutting her mouth, her eyes widening.

"What the fuck?" I spat out, quietly.

"Sorry, I didn't mean for that to slip out."

"How is that not like, incest or something?" I ask, leaning towards her on my elbow.

"I have no idea. Just the idea of it makes me sick." She shudders.

"Does he know, you know?" I ask and she shakes her head.

"I only found out about a week ago, we haven't seen each other a lot this week. Part of that is my own doing." She says, looking down at the massive ring. "He didn't even pay attention to what ring I wanted. I should've known." She says, shrugging and returning her attention to the IV in Charlie's arm.

"Prick." I mumble under my breath and she chuckles. "Let me guess. Lawyer? Drives a BMW? Hair gel-aholic?"

"You know it." She says, awkwardly chuckling. "Cadillac." She corrects.

"I know it's not my business but, why'd you say yes?"

"At the time, it was a safe option. We've been together since college." She shrugs, leaning back in her seat.

"What's his last name?" I ask.

"Why? Want it for yourself?"

"What? No." I say, shaking my head. "Just, what is it?"

"Lodge." She says, in full southern twang.

"Brinley Lodge... Doesn't even flow well." I state and she lets out a little laugh. "The Lodge's... Yeah, no."

She turns to Charlie, "Charlie, are you hungry at all?"