| drunk words, sober thoughts |

you drove up to the busy house, a bunch of drunk  teenagers stumbling around outside. couples were sitting on the grass making out whilst others tried to leave the party. you got out of your car and pushed past the crowd, searching around outside for your best friend. he told you that he would wait outside for you but you couldn't find him anywhere. well, that was until you heard a bunch of chanting from around the back of the house. "steve! steve! steve! steve!" the chants grew louder and louder as you walked towards the back. there you saw your best friend, steve harrington, being held in the air by tommy h and another partygoer. they put him down as everyone else clapped and cheered, shouting and chanting his name. steve straightened his back and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, smiling smugly at a boy standing opposite him in a leather jacket. "yeah!" tommy cheered. "can't beat the keg king, hargrove!" he exclaimed, patting steve's back. steve chuckled and pushed tommy's shoulder slightly before he began walking away from him. steve smiled when he saw you, speeding up to get to you quicker.

"y/n!" he exclaimed, his speech slurred. steve threw his arms around you and pulled you close. you felt your lips twitch up into a smile as he held you close. your face quickly scrunched up when the smell of alcohol engulfed you. you put your hands on steve's chest and pushed him away slightly. he looked and frowned. "steve, you reek of alcohol." you coughed and waved your hand around, making steve roll his eyes. "it's a party. there's gonna be alcohol." he stated matter-of-factly. you rolled your eyes and grabbed his wrist to lead him through the crowd of teens. "one day," you began as you pushed through the crowd, the smell of alcohol only getting stronger. "the police are going to find you all drinking underage and that's when you'll all be in deep shit." you added. you turned to make sure steve was still behind you and saw him there, now wearing his sunglasses that were tucked into the collar of his shirt. "why are you wearing the glasses?" you asked, shaking your head. steve shrugged. "make me look cool." he simply stated. "oh my god." you muttered.

after a minute or two of pushing through the crowd, you finally got to your car.  you let go of steve's wrist to unlock the door before opening the passenger door for him and helping him slowly get in. he tried not to damage his hair as he climbed into the seat. you chuckled and closed the door, getting into the driver side. steve had his head pressed against the window as you drove away from the house, the loud music slowly getting quieter the further you drove. it wasn't long until your car began to smell of alcohol. you rolled down the windows, making steve jolt back when he felt the window moving. once the window was down, steve stuck his head out like a dog, his hand firmly holding his sunglasses. his brown hair flailed around in the wind. you quickly looked over at him. "what're you doing?" you asked. "it's refreshing." steve murmured back. you smirked and put the window up slightly, making steve jolt his head back into the car. "tryna chop my head off?" he asked, rubbing his throat with his hand. you chuckled. "and get rid of your pretty face? never." you teased, making steve chuckle lowly. "your parents home?" you asked him. steve shook his head. "never are." he replied. you felt bad for steve whenever his parents were brought up. they didn't show him any kind of love whatsoever.

steve continued to stare out of the window until you reached his house. you got out of the car. steve stumbled out, almost falling over. you rushed over and wrapped your arm around his back, his arm resting across your shoulders. "aw, look at you caring about me." steve teased. you shook your head and made your way to the front door. steve dug around in his pockets before finding the key. you unlocked the door and helped steve in, carefully so he wouldn't fall. you helped him walk up to his room, sitting him down on his bed. you looked in his wardrobe for some clothes he could wear. "did you have fun at the party?" you asked as you looked. steve hummed in response, throwing himself back on his bed. "was alright." he added. "only alright?" you asked. "mhm. would've been better if you were there." he admitted. you felt a blush creep onto your cheeks and fought off your smile. "oh yeah?" "yeah." you finally picked out some clothes for him and turned to steve. he was laying in his bed, his arms outstretched as he stared at the ceiling. you threw the clothes at him, making him sit up. "get changed." you told him. you turned back to close the wardrobe. when you turned to face steve, you were met with his shirtless torso. your eyes quickly widened and looked away. "i didn't mean when i was standing right here, steve." you said, staring at the floor. "never told me that." he replied. you rolled your eyes and saw his blue jeans on the floor out of your peripheral vision.