4. Whos the better pilot

This morning we all got sat down infant of a large screen listening to maverick explain what was going to happen on the mission.

Phoenix and bob was sat with me in the front seats with rooster at the back and hangman sat alone on the front row on the left side.
"This will be a mission like no other that any of you have flown" maverick looked at me intently as I avoided his gaze, looking anywhere else- on the screen was showing the course, highlighting all the enemy SAM's in red, "this mission will be flown at 660 knots minimum"

I sat up straighter leaning forward, giving my dad a questioning look, I don't like this idea.

"You will have a hard deck of 100" I look to see hangman smirking confidently and roll my eyes

"It will be flown within 2 minutes and 30 seconds" he looks into my eyes "time is your greatest adversary" I gulp so loud even hangman takes a glance at me, my eyes meeting his, he gives me a displeased glare and looks away. Good if this means he's back to hating me its for the best I say to myself, its out of our systems now.

"Sir you realise you're asking us for the impossible right" I state loud and clear, maverick looks at me for a moment "if anyone in this room is capable of flying that course it's you lieutenant" hangman scoffs at this statement. "Problem with that bagman?" I ask
"No not at all just funny that you need your dad to give you compliments to make people believe you're a good pilot" my mouth drops open. "alright thats enough" maverick shouts. I shift in my seat not looking at him. Why is hangman being 10x more of a jerk today.

"Anyway as I was saying, you will have a steep climb and drop in between the two mountains where the nuclear enrichment facility lies, a ventilation sits above to protects it" the screen behind him showing the plan in more detail, in pairs we will need to pull off two consecutive miracles

"The first pair will aim to destroy the ventilation system-thats miracle number one"
I signed and slunk back into my seat, shaking my head, I knew it would be dangerous but how dangerous are we actually talking.

"The second pair will aim and drop into the gap made from the first teams hit, and take out the whole facility, thats miracle number two" he says shaky breathed " then you will reach coffins corner where you will be fired upon whilst your body feels like its being crushed by the climb, thats your most vulnerable state"

Hangman glanced at me out of the corner of his eyes, watching me bite my lip as my breathing hitched, he could see right through me, I was scared.

"Today we will simulate the course sending you out in pairs, we will go easy on you, three minutes to pull this off, lets go" he took one quick glance at me then at rooster before heading off, I turned round to look at Bradley, he was loosing hope, we all were.

———————————————————
Coyote was up first with bob and pheonix as his duo, everyone watching from the screen when they see them attempt the course. I focused really hard on this, making sure I pick up on any mistakes or secret tips that could give me the edge, needing to prove my dad and everyone who doubts me wrong.

They got so far before Phoenix could be seen above the red line above coyote, I closed my eyes sighing, if this was real they'd be dead, my best friend would be gone, how can one just move past that thought.

'Why are you dead?" Maverick was serious this time, no jokes, he was stressed.

pheonix hesitates "we pulled up to avoid h" maverick was listening to her he spoke over her "what is the reason" he looked to coyote, "well I had to slow down" coyote goes on.

"One that will be excepted by their families at their funerals" my chest tightened, he better not cross that line today I thought.

I was next with hangman and omaha, I was focusing like my life depended on it, it literally does. "Guys we are 10 seconds behind target lifting speed to 550" we all speed up however hangman speeds off a lot faster ahead. 'Damnit hangman stick with your team" I should slamming my hands against my wheel.