eighteen

It was finally the weekend and Layla was ecstatic. No more weird stares from the people at school, and no more Bruce. Layla knew that Bruce was just trying to help, but it was making her doubt everything. Layla knew Vance wasn't doing what Bruce was accusing him of, but still... it made her start to overthink.

Layla was laying in her bed, staring up at the ceiling and thinking everything over. Vance loved her. He just didn't want to lose her. So what if he was a little protective and possessive? If Layla saw another girl hitting on Vance she'd react the same way.

"Layla, honey, Vance is on the phone for you!" Her mother called up the stairs.

Layla reached over and picked up the phone from her bedside table, "Hello?"

"I want to play pinball."

Layla laughed, "I said hello, Vance."

"Hi," He paused, "I want to play pinball."

"Okay? Then go play some pinball."

There was a long pause. "I want to play pinball with you."

Layla blushed and laughed at him, "You want me to come with you?"

"Yes."

"Okay, I'll meet you there?"

"Okay."

"Bye, Vance."

"I love you," He said before hanging up the phone.

Layla shook her head at her boyfriend. He was doing a really good job at being a boyfriend, but sometimes he still... struggled a little. Layla quickly got ready and jogged down the stairs.

"Where are you goin'?" Billy asked.

"The Grab 'n Go."

"Fine," He huffed. Neither of them had apologized yet and things around the Emerson household were still very tense. The fact that their mother was rarely around to be a mediator didn't help matters much. Layla gave one last look to her brother and then walked out the front door. The walk to the Grab 'n Go was a quick one. She entered the store to see her boyfriend already at his throne. Layla gave Vance a quick peck on the cheek before she leaned up comfortably against the window beside him.

"How're you doing?" She asked. He was very close to beating his high score, but Vance always messed it up. He'd get too excited or anxious and would lose.

"So far so good," he mumbled.

"Just don't get into your head too much," She said. Vance nodded in response. Vance didn't talk a lot whenever he was playing pinball, but Layla didn't mind much. It was nice enjoying his presence in silence. Well, as silent as you can be when Vance would bitch about losing.

"Goddammit!" Vance yelled, slamming his hands down on the machine. Layla sighed sadly at the boy. She wanted him to beat his score so badly.

"Do you want me to go get you a slushie?" Layla offered.

"Whatever," He huffed, sliding in some more quarters.

Layla went up to the counter and purchased both of them a slushie; cherry for her and blue raspberry for Vance. She sat the slushies down on the windowsill, careful not to mess Vance's game up.

"Can I have some?" He asked, careful not to take his eyes off the game.

Layla brought the slushie over and held it in front of his face. He took a quick sip and nudged her away, "Thank you."

"Of course," Layla smiled. They did this, for awhile. Vance would play for a bit, ask for some of his slushie and Layla would happily oblige. Soon enough, Vance lost again.