Casting The Bait

Ayanokouji POV

Plan B was in full force, I was already near her, only a few more steps before I could stand beside her. I also made my intention clear and luckily she just gave me a glance before observing the on going swimmers. It made me a bit happy that she didn't walk away.

"Seems like you also excel in swimming."

Horikita suddenly spoke without looking at me.

"Thank you, what about you?"

"I'm decent enough."

"I see."

Silence quickly enveloped us as we stood side by side, but I had stuff to say..

"Did you have anything to say to me?"

My sudden question made her look at me, probably surprised by my blunt approach.

"I caught you glaring at me from time to time, I was wondering if I offended you somehow or you had something to say to me. If its the former, I would apologize."

Her expression turned serious.

"I, for one, is still skeptical of your leadership."

"That's understandable."

"But all present evidence at the moment says that you are somewhat capable."

"So you are giving me a chance? Is that what you are trying to say?"

Horikita reluctantly nodded.

"When you fail I expect you to back down yourself."

"Of course."

"Good, I'm glad you understand."

I could tell she was being generous right now even if her words was quite sharp, to other people she might as well be looking down at me right now, which she probably is to some extent, but I could tell this was her working towards class A. From what I observed of her, she takes classes seriously more than anyone in class, after asking around she's also regarded as one of the smartest in class and I'll be able to gauge her physical capabilities later on, but judging from her build she's overall a capable student, it seriously baffles me how oblivious she can be of her own flaw or is she just choosing to ignore it?

"Is that all?"

I asked once again, she looks at bit more reluctant this time.

"The student council...What did they say to you?.."

This was rather surprising, she wasn't just reluctant, but also meek, but why ask me that? Was she perhaps checking up on her brother? Then couldn't she just contact him herself?

"Your brother was interesting. I could see why he is the student council president."

Horikita flinched as I mentioned her brother, but a small smile formed on her face when I complimented him, she must have a soft spot for her brother.

"Of course, Nii-san is regarded as the best Student Council President in ANHS history."

Definitely a soft spot and yet I couldn't help but see a sense of bitterness in her smile.

"As for what they said, they simply wanted to congratulate me for my achievements and asked me the reason why I chose class D, to which I basically said the same thing from my introduction."

"And what did they say about that?"

I looked at Horikita, making her look back at me.

"Your brother said he'd be watching."

One moment she was wide-eyed, her face clearly showing shock and disbelief, the next she was already looking away.

"....I see."

Her face full of contemplation, it is evident now, they have a rocky relationship, but how rocky? How important is this relationship to begin with... I need more information.

"Are you free tomorrow?"

"When I said I'm giving you a chance, I did not mean it that way."

And just as quickly, her cold demeanor is back.

"Relax, I wasn't asking for a date. I just wanted to discuss the class situation."

"Then ask Kushida, she'll be happy to help you."

"I don't think she'll be free on the weekend, besides you lead the class last, so you must know the current situation. I'll even pay for lunch."

"Even so, I refuse to spend my weekend with you."

She was really stubborn about this.

"Then how about a bet?"

"A bet I'll win in the swimming competition later."

She faced me with her arms crossed, her glare piercing me right now.

"If I win the swimming competition later, then you'll meet up with me tomorrow to discuss the class situation, of course I'll still be paying if you'd like."

" And why should I even humor this bet of yours?"

She was looking at me like I was spouting the most ridiculous thing in the world right now.

"Because, if I lose I'll give you enough private points to transfer to class A."

As if time stopped, Horikita froze, disbelief and confusion prominent on her face.

"You must be a fool to think I'll believe that! You can't possibly have such an amount!"

"You're right, I don't."

"Then your bet is ju-"

"I only have half of it."

I cut her off, making her more annoyed.

"I thought you were better than this Ayanokouji, now you're just blatantly lying with me."

"I could show you if I had my phone with me."

But alas we were advice to leave our belongings in the lockers.

"What a convenient excuse."

"That certainly is true, so how about we make the teacher the witness."

Horikita once again glared at me.

"What game are you playing?"

"Game? There's no tricks to this Horikita, I just simply want to have a discussion with you."

"Then couldn't we have this discussion right now? Postponing it for tomorrow makes you look like you have an ulterior motive."

I looked at Horikita, staring straight into her eyes.

"You make a good point again, but I rather have this discussion without any prying ears or eyes."

My point came across, she grew silent, contemplating about my intentions right now, but she would have to cut her thoughts short.

"Last batch get ready! Ichihashi! Horikita! Sotomura! Onizuki! Hirata!"

She was called up for the warm-up, prompting her to look towards our teacher.

"Think about what I said Horikita, it's not a bad deal for you."

"She gave me one last cold look before heading towards her lane, but I already saw it from that one look she made, and the clenched fist she held, she was considering it.

=/=

A short chapter indeed, but I think it was the perfect part to cut the chapter and so I will do!