Chinese Takeout

Ayanokouji POV

I was making my way to the dorms, everything was somewhat moving smoothly. I had just obtained a vast amount of private points and advance information from the student council and from what I'm seeing, no one was opposing my desire to lead the class, for a second I thought Horikita would personally confront me about it, but she has been quietly attending class and quickly leaving afterwards. I guess I was given a chance, how nice of her, there was just one problem though, the class situation. I have been picking up bits and pieces of the situation, but no concrete evidence, it was like the topic was taboo, no one wanted to recall what happened and deal with the aftermath.

"A-Ayanokouji-kun?!..."

My thoughts were interrupted by a familiar voice, Mii-chan was holding a bag full of newly bought stuff probably from the nearby convenient store from here.

"Hey there Mii-chan."

She quickly approached me, walking alongside me towards the dorms.

"Are you just returning from school?"

"Yeah, meeting with the student council took longer than expected."

"Getting to meet the student council, y-you're really amazing Ayanokouji-kun."

Mii-chan was getting less awkward as we continued our conversation, although I could still see she was a bit shy, she was constantly shifting her gaze between the road ahead and me.

"Would you like me to carry that?"

I asked, directly looking at her bag of newly purchased stuff.

"N-No! It's fine A-Ayanokouji-kun! It's not much really, mostly just the free stuff..."

"Free stuff?"

A bitter smile appeared on her face as she slowly nodded at me.

"The school provides free stuff for daily necessities, I think it's for people struggling with points, although Kikyou was nice enough to share the points she won at the previous exam, most of the class still decided to use the free stuff, we didn't want to burden her more than we already have.."

"Kushida is really nice, isn't she?"

"Mhm. I'm happy to be her friend!..."

Her bitter smile never left throughout that exchange, it doesn't seem like the right time, but what Mii-chan told me that class D are already starting to accept their situation, for the better and for the worse. That aside, I was given another reminder of Kushida's kindness, and kind she was, a bit too kind for her own good.

"Do you mind if I ask more questions? I need all the help I can get to lead the class."

By premising my request as me trying to help the class further, I was hoping it would appeal to Mii-chan's good nature.

"It's fine Ayanokouji-kun!...I'd like to help if I can."

"Thank you Mii-chan, then...could you tell me who lead the class before?"

Instantly Mii-chan's face turned to a sad one, it seems I hit a sore spot...

"Sorry, you don't have to force yourself."

"I-I'm fine, I just didn't expect for you to ask that..."

I nodded and waited for her to speak, rushing this would do no good.

"W-When everything started H-Hirata-kun was our leader..."

"Hirata? That's unexpected."

Mii-chan then had her bitter smile back, but it was a bit different, I could see a bit of nostalgia in her eyes.