53. Bath bombs, Suncatchers and Running Away

53

Turning the corner to see Dythos hanging off of a wall, suspended only by one of his feet whilst he tried to climb it like a spider and failing was particularly anxiety provoking for Elgaldir. He was trying to fulfil Omdum's wishes that he watch over the Wheat God without watching him in an overbearingly hawk-like manner. Having him fall off of a wall and hurting himself when he was technically under his care was probably something that would get him replaced with Olris again.

From the emotional state Dythos had been in when Olris had been in charge of that duty, Elgaldir didn't think that would go over particularly well. He'd definitely put up a fight and the stress wouldn't be good for his recovery, Omdum had already pointed that out very clearly to Elgaldir.

Actually falling off of the wall wouldn't really have done any physical damage to him now that all of his wounds were sufficiently scabbed over. A few weeks ago just tripping over could have caused him to have catastrophic blood loss again and that was something he could never live with having happened on his watch.

It would have hurt.

Especially when his mouth smashed off of the wall but the teeth would have grown back. Gods could usually tank a lot of damage before any actual wound occurred, it was one of the benefits of the job. It also meant that there wasn't much in the way of improvements in dental science up here.

Seeing someone that you cared about fall off a wall didn't change how you felt about it, even if you knew that though, it was an instinctual response. It would have happened even if there was a fifteen metre deep foam pit underneath Dythos and he was inside of one of those inflatable balls just the same.

The last time he had sprinted so fast was across a battlefield somewhere in Endspar or Endshub...Enshub. It was getting hard to keep track of the nations that rose and fell endlessly in the Mortal Realm. Sometimes they just randomly decided to change their names.

Luckily he had caught him in time to prevent Dythos having to grow out those new teeth. For some reason he'd expected him to be heavier. Perhaps in the past he had been. That part of his memory seemed fuzzy now that he tried to access it.

Despite the time that had passed and the scars Dythos had gained, so much of him was unchanged. Sure he had put on some weight since the day he'd awoken in the lake but he was not yet back to the body shape Elgaldir remembered. He'd had to take him to get his clothes altered so that they would fit because of that.

Logically he knew that the clothes he had been wearing had worn him more than the other way round before that. Dythos had been all but swimming in them. The bagginess made him look younger and frailer than he was. Like a child wearing his father's clothes. They'd greatly emphasised the weight loss and had probably provoked everyone's feelings of overprotectiveness.

The newly taken in and tailored clothes fitted a lot better.

His arms though.

His arms had remembered how he had fit in them before.

Elgaldir shook such thoughts out of his mind, quickly placing Dythos on his own feet again. Dythos' face resembled a strawberry he was blushing so deeply that even his ears had to be burning. It made Elgaldir curse himself for how much he had liked holding him, it had made the smaller god feel uncomfortable.

He hadn't expected Dythos to take the hand he had extended to him. Instead, he had thought that the other would link arms with him again as they had done many times on the trips he had taken him on, showing him the sights of the Heavenly City. When they linked arms, Dythos could lean on him when he needed to and it meant that he could walk without the walking frame for a little longer. Instead of linking arms, he'd grabbed his hand and now they were walking side by side.