50. Paperwork ends (At Last)

50

The loose prayers that had been stuffed into the drawer, so that he could hurriedly sit down without fainting, took a lot longer to sort through than he had wanted to. They ended up in a mini version of the prayer organisation he had utilised in the other office's gigantic filing cabinets.

Hopefully he could start working on some of the prayers now that everything was sorted into its assigned place. Finding things would be actually possible now that he wasn't under the constant threat of being buried alive beneath them. As he worked through the thousands of requests it would leave spots open in the now bulging drawers so that the two collections could be assimilated.

Less walking between the sites Dax was keeping them meant that there were also fewer opportunities to accidentally misplace things and that was always going to be a good thing.

Thinking back to what the situation was like when he'd first opened the door to the Prayer Office, Dax was grateful that he had spent all this time sorting through it because there would have been no way for him to take any action on the prayers whilst stressing about how messy they were. Now he was able to see what belonged to who and get the entire context of what he was being asked to do.

Trying to find the bottom of the pile had taken an ungodly amount of time to achieve, Elgaldir had even at one point offered to lend him the help of some of his own administrative staff to make it easier for him. Dax had turned him down on that offer, determined to get through it on his own though in the last few days he almost caved in. The initial joy of actually being able to do something about the problem for Dythos turned into a desperate need to finally have it all be over and done with.

There was a certain responsibility and care that he owed to the prayers of believers who had continued their faith despite Dythos' inability to answer them. Prayers in the Prayer Office were something intensely personal to the former owner of the body, not handling them himself seemed like it would be an insult to both Dythos and his believers.

A betrayal of the faith in some way.

After completing this mammoth task, Dax took several days off. He was still doing things around the palace, moving small pieces of furniture and cleaning the easy to reach surfaces as best he could with what was available to him. The wheelchair and the walking frame that Elgaldir had found time to put together for him were really making a world of difference. The walker even had a little chair built into it so that he could sit if he needed to.

It was sort of amazing to zip around the place under his own power without someone breathing down his neck. Sure Elgaldir often accompanied him on walks in the gardens and helped him move things that he just didn't have the strength to yet but it always felt like they were working together to complete the task.

When Olris had been the one watching over him it had felt more like he was undergoing some sort of test that wasn't being explained to Dax. They'd left him on the floor before when he had fallen and hadn't helped him up.

There had been a day when Dax was trying to move a chez lounge and had reached too far forward and tipped the wheelchair over with himself in it. Elgaldir had been quick to come to his aid and flip the thing back over and hold it whilst a fiercely independent Dax hauled himself back into it.

It hadn't made him feel lesser than or self conscious that his body wasn't working the way that everyone else's was. It had just been a thing that had happened.

Elgaldir had dropped the basket containing his food one morning and the apples contained in it had rolled all over the place. Looking back on the event, it had been very funny to see the look of horror on the tall god's face as he held this tiny little wicker basket with a gingham cloth chasing red apples as they continuously rolled away from him.