16. You Should be Sleeping

16

In the grand scheme of things it didn't take Omdum and Mother Willow very long to rush Elgaldir to the place where Dythos had been hidden away.

It was almost comical how close the two of them had been for all this time.

The rescue group landed on the side of a celestial mountain floating on its own little island of cloud somewhat distant from the nearest settlement. Although there were only four cities (the other three having much better names than 'Heavenly City' ) in the Heavenly Realm there were many other places that deities chose to live. Some preferred to take to the path of aesthetic isolation meditating in isolation but that was getting harder and harder to find as it had long gone out of style.

Humans wanted a deity that would answer their prayers in a timely manner, not someone who sat in contemplation of the movements of the stars for thousands of years and gave them poetically written but puzzling advice.

The seeming remoteness of the mountain was increased by the absence of any buildings surrounding it for several leagues. Elgaldir was used to seeing every possible surface covered in buildings. Real estate space in Heavenly City was pretty packed these days, so finding spaces like this that were basically untouched was increasingly unusual.

Large open spaces were usually under the protective ownership of the nature gods, goddesses and deities if they existed at all.

Mother Willow floated, on a willow branch with her hands resting on the mossy coated rock. This outcrop of the celestial mountain was covered in a thick layer of alpine club moss. Its dull greyish-green leaves were covered in a thin mist of dew parted at her arrival to reveal the rocky face of the mountain beneath it.

Energy flowed through the Goddess' palms like tree sap its colour as deep as honey. As it hit the mossy outcrop, the rock beneath it began to peel away from the mountain as if she was preparing an unusually shaped fruit.

Moving the sheer amount of rock was impressive on its own, doing it with what looked like hardly any effort on her part was incredibly impressive. It was easy to forget just how much power the ancient Goddesses were capable of wielding.

She manipulated the rock further, forming a small but perfectly circular hole.

The hole widened and deepened with every pulse of power that left her body, until an opening formed on the other side. For a second Elgaldir thought that she had carved a hole all the way through to the opposite side of the mountain but instead of seeing bright sunlight shining back at them, there was only a dim purple glow.

Mother Willow had just opened an entrance into a large underground cave.

The desperation to see Dythos that had only been growing from the moment that the crystal bell had first rang began to morph itself into fear now that the God of War was so close to his goal.

They were so close to one another.

They had always been so close to one another.

How was he meant to process that? Has he always been here in this cave? Had they moved him during the past four thousand years?

Elgaldir thought back to the nights where he had searched feverishly every temple, every holy place that had ever been linked to the God of Wheat. Every place that had ever been associated with him by even the smallest degree.

He'd stood in wheat fields burying bread offerings in every corner hoping to summon him. Planting and harvesting seasons were when Dythos was the busiest. Harvest festivals, beer brewing, whiskey festivals all checked in vain.