𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑻𝒘𝒆𝒍𝒗𝒆

The restaurant isn't what I expected, but I like it

The restaurant isn't what I expected, but I like it. It's the type of place that you might say is a hole-in-the-wall. It took us a while to get here and I don't think I've even been in this area of town before.

Eddie holds my hand as he guides us inside the restaurant. He seems to be familiar with where we are. We walk past the hostess and she smiles. It's a relaxed environment and seems to be one of those mom-and-pop-owned restaurants.

I notice Wayne at a table in the back. He looks healthy and that makes me happy. My heart jumps when I notice who's next to him.

"Henderson!" Eddie shouts before running over to the table and putting Dustin in a headlock before pulling him into a hug.

The restaurant isn't busy, but the people that are sitting down at the tables nearby barely glance over at Eddie before they resume their conversations

I watch Eddie and Dustin embrace. What a sweet surprise. My heart swells watching them laugh and tease each other.

I walk up to Wayne and smile. "Hi, Wayne."

"Madi, how are you?" He asks and hugs me.

"I'm great. You?" I pull back from our hug and look at him.

He smiles. "I'm good. It's great to see you."

Eddie comes up behind Wayne and pats his back. "You survived a whole flight with this one?" He nods his head over at Dustin and we laugh. "Damn, what a surprise," Eddie says with a smile, and then he embraces Wayne.

I walk up to Dustin and smile. "You're all grown up."

He shrugs and smiles. "Yeah, that's what happens." I hug him. He's a bit taller and his curls are cut shorter. His face has matured and his voice is deeper.

The last time I saw Dustin was at Steve's birthday party in 1990. I wasn't able to attend Dustin's graduation, but Robin told me that Eddie did. He flew out for a few hours just to see Dustin, Mike, and the rest of the kids walk the stage. I wasn't living in Hawkins at the time, but I can't help but wonder if Eddie would have driven to see me in Odell if he had more than a few hours to spare. That thought crossed my mind a lot that summer. But then I remember that I broke it off with him, so why would he? I don't blame him.