𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑭𝒐𝒖𝒓

Eddie and Madi's Song
Inevitable - Maddie Zahm

I rest my head against his back as the cold air whips around my body

I rest my head against his back as the cold air whips around my body. His shoulder blades move against my chest as he pulls back the throttle. I lost track of how long we have been driving because I'm so focused on breathing.

My heart is still racing. I tighten my grip around his waist. I feel him lightly pat my hands as we come to a stop at a red light.

"Relax, Madi." He laughs.

"I am," I shout over the engine.

The light turns green and he pulls back on the throttle again. We shoot forward and I shift with the movement, letting out a squeal as I pull closer to him. His body shakes with his laughter and I roll my eyes.

It's strange to be this close to his body again. I'm still struggling to feel right about touching him. Knowing he's not mine and I'm not his anymore makes it feel wrong. But my body fits so perfectly with his.

I'm completely lost in my thoughts that I don't realize we are coming to a stop. I open my eyes and look around. My apartment building looks vacant at this hour.

Eddie flips the kickstand down and shifts the bike to the side as he slides off, keeping one hand on me to make sure I don't fall. I grab his hand and pull myself off the bike. I let out a shaky breath.

He takes off his helmet and places it on the bike. "It wasn't that bad." He softly laughs.

I roll my eyes as I  try to unclasp my helmet. Eddie steps toward me and moves my hands gently. "I've got it." He says. I avoid eye contact as he takes my helmet off and clips it to the back of the bike.

"Thank you for the ride." I take off his jacket and hand it to him.

He nods, takes the jacket, and pulls it on. "You live in a nice area." He says looking around.

"Thanks to Emily. I wouldn't be able to afford this neighborhood without her." I tuck my hair behind my ear and look at him.

"Who is Emily?" He shoves his hands in his pocket. A few strands of hair fall from his low bun and frame his face.

"My roommate," I answer.

"Oh. I'm glad you don't live alone," he says.

What do I say to that? Why is he concerned if I'm alone or not? I ignore his comment and step onto the sidewalk.

And here we are again, stuck in the silence with so much to say and nothing to say at all. I let out a sigh feeling the exhaustion of the day catching up to me.

"Well, I'm going to head up now." I motion to the door and look up at him. He looks at me as if he wants to say something, but he doesn't. I give him a moment longer to answer, and with his silence, I start walking to the door.