Chapter 65

Xander's POV:

I placed my bag down with a huff, breathing in the incredibly specific scent our room has, and taking it as its own little 'Welcome Home'.

Doe wasn't here, though that wasn't too much of a hiccup.

Sylvia went ahead and took care of making copies of her documentation for review, and tied up all the little details she said she didn't want to bother me with.

I took the time to hurry to get unpacked and organized, so that way when I did go find Doe, I could give her my full and undivided attention for as long as she pleased.

Maybe I should try to find Nico first then. I know he's gonna have questions and want a copy of the accounts.

I decided that I wasn't going to tell him what I'd found out about our family, not until I'd chatted with mom first.

I'd spent the rest of the time I had at that Clan mingling just how I'd wanted to. The treaty was successfully altered and signed, and Augustus weirdly left me alone for the rest of my time there.

He did see me off though, so I suppose that was nice.

Definitely a much different trip than I was expecting.

I lugged my bag onto the foot of the bed, eyes narrowing at the slight pressure that haunted my chest for only a moment.

Huh...

I waited a moment for it to come back or give me any sort of message, but it didn't.

Instead, my answer came with the sound of the door unlocking.

My smile at her presence faltered at the look on her face.

At the tense posture, furrowed brows and tears brimming her eyes.

Not of sadness. No, As soon as I checked the air I instead found complete and utter anger.

And a hint of her blood.

That feeling began again in the chest, this time with intention.

I turned to her, my senses piling into overdrive to deduct what I could by the time she'd closed the door.

The racing of her heart, the heavy breaths she was trying to control, the scent of...

The tips of my fingers burned through the ache of claws begging to be released as soon as it all clicked.

The realization of who had rendered her to this state.

I contained it, biting back the growl. For now, I held it back because I wasn't going to approach her all riled up.

Relief softened some of her features as I stepped to her, speaking my name with a broken little sigh.

I hurriedly pinpointed the spots on her he'd left his scent... Her shoulder, her hair, and the one that merged with her blood, her hand.

Or more accurately, her fist.

I pondered on that one a little longer, settling my hands on her shoulder as soon as she was close enough.

Her anger brewed on, eyeing the side wall instead of looking at me while she wiped her eyes with the back of her hand.

The back of her bloodied hand.

I took a gentle hold of her wrist once she was done, eyeing the small gash before she would look at me.

"What did he do?" My words carried the depth and hint of a growl I was choking to restrain.