Chapter 57

Xander's POV:

I think I may have underestimated Doe's commitment to these cupcakes.

She woke up early this morning, completely leaving me in bed while she hurriedly got dressed and ran out to the kitchen.

Nico, or I suppose Khloe, only wanted us to get started with her birthday festivities at around ten for breakfast and board games for a few hours with the five of us.

Which I thought was sweet.

But now I was heading over to the kitchen at 9:30 to hunt down my girlfriend and pester her with assistance she probably doesn't want.

If Lily will let me. If she doesn't, then I'll just ask her some questions pertaining to tonight.

I'd already gone up and wished my father a happy birthday, but there was a formal activity later tonight that I wanted to ask her about.

Lily greeted me as soon as I pushed open the doors.

"Good morning Xander," She chirped, pointing a thumb behind her into the kitchen, "She's in there."

I nodded, taking in the variety of scents that were being prepared for Khloe.

Apples and cinnamon, bacon, and chocolate from what I'm hoping are the cupcakes.

I caught myself and halted in front of the kitchen doors.

"Can I?" I sheepishly asked Lily.

She eyed me over, holding the sup she was filling almost threateningly.

"You know what I expect, prince."

"I'll behave, ma'am," I assured her.

"I'm sure. And don't forget that there's a window we can see through," She mentioned off-handedly with a knowing tone, going right back to her drink.

Oh... right.

Knowing that she knew about us still felt a little weird.

Regardless, I let myself in, spotting her further down on of the counters working on something in a large bowl.

I thought for a moment that I was accidentally sneaking up on her, but as soon as I was about two steps away, she turned to me with a spoon in hand.

"Try this," She demanded, handing me the spoon, "It's the frosting,"

I looked over the pink color, gladly taking the spoon and tasting its contents.

Wow, this was... very good.

Not that I thought it wouldn't be... I guess I don't know what I was expecting.

The taste of raspberries melded perfectly with the dark chocolate shavings mixed in.

"The cupcakes ended up being chocolate with like a... hazelnut chocolate gooey center." She told, turning back to her bowl.

"You 'lava cake'ed the cupcakes?" I asked with a smile.

"I wanted to try... Lily definitely helped me a ton in making sure I didn't make a giant mess... Do you think it's overkill? With the frosting and everything? Or is the frosting too flavorful? Should I add more of the chocolate?" Her borage of questions came in quick succession, showing her worry again in this whole process.

A rare sight, and kind of charming given that this was for Khloe, but still not one I was too fond of.

I let my fingers trail down her back.

"I think that you're gonna end up creating the next big thing and Lily's gonna have to make em more often after today," I said in an attempt to calm her, "I think the flavors are gonna work together just how they should. Maybe save some of the chocolate to put on the top after they're all put together."