Chapter 18

Doe's POV:

"Xander!" My default scolding tone became nullified by the laugh that got torn from me, his arms scooping me from the ground, and his nose and breath tickling my neck.

I always imagined getting pounced on by a vampire would be different, though I did somewhat see this coming before stepping out of the closet.

After dinner, we'd settled down, and I told him that we could do the whole 'blood' thing after I switched into my pajamas.

Or as you probably guessed, another one of his shirts buttoned in the same way I always had it.

Meaning that when my legs crossed behind him for stability, he was holding onto my bare legs to keep me there.

My body enraptured at the feeling of him where he was, one hand grabbing his bicep while the other took its instinctive place in his hair.

Kisses immediately placed themselves down my neck, his legs moving us towards the bed.

I sighed into his touch, hints of relief flowing through me at the familiarity in how he was holding himself.

That fierce yet lighthearted way he did these things. the fun he always tried to keep.

Although that has mostly stayed consistent, recently he's just... faltered a bit from what felt like himself.

I wanted to think that he's just been getting too much inside of his own head lately. He himself just said that it had to do with the changes of this new environment.

But this... after this amazing day we'd spent together, this just felt like him again.

Unrestrained, unhesitant, and the heavy purr now vibrating from his chest to mine proving it further.

I just hoped that maybe the day with me pulled him out of that funk somehow. I know it definitely fixed that sudden unease I was experiencing from this morning.

I shuddered at the feeling of his heated, almost deep, needful breaths caressing my skin.

All of this just for a bite?

Well, that is how the last one went... and that was because of my own request.

"I didn't think this was going to be an every time thing," My hushed voice shuddered with me.

I made sure to say it in a way where he knew that it wasn't a complaint.

His confidence had been slipping lately, and I didn't want to risk accidentally damaging it, especially now.

Not with how badly I wanted to see it right now.

He parted just enough to speak, the skin of his lips tickling my skin

"If you want me to get my fresh blood from you, then I always want to make it an experience to enjoy." His voice had taken on that lower tone, "If you want me to just get it over with, then that's a different story."

He drew his head back an inch more in a silent question from his last statement.

'My way. Your rules.'

With his hand in his hair, I pushed and made him take back the space, feeling the rush of air from his chuckle against my shoulder.

An arm hooked around my back before he leaned us over the bed, aiding along with my tightening grip in keeping me against him as he took us both to the head of the bed.

He earned a few more, admittedly girlish, giggles from me, pecking quick little kisses across my neck and the part of my chest he usually kept to.

After this day, now experiencing him for what he should be. It just made me happy, and I didn't feel the need to hide that from him.