Chapter 32 Battle Plans

Meanwhile, back at Hogwarts, things were going from bad to worse. Umbridge interfered with every aspect of the student's everyday life, especially in Defense Against the Dark Arts. She made it her goal to attend every lesson to ensure Tonks taught the required course. Tonks would scowl at Umbridge, but she did as she was instructed. It was necessary for someone of the Order to be there to watch over the twins, even though the students were learning nothing.

It finally came to a head when Hermione started rambling one day that they were not learning a thing to defend themselves. She paced before the fireplace while her friends listened to her ramble, “This can't go on. The Ministry can't expect us to enter the real world unprepared.”

Holly sighed, “That's exactly what they expect, Hermione. As long as Fudge keeps denying that Voldemort is back, we're vulnerable.”

Hermione turned and looked at the Potter twins, “Then we'll need a proper teacher.”

Harry and Holly looked at each other, “Are you suggesting that we teach the students to fight?” Harry asked hesitantly.

Holly thought for a moment. She thought about what Viktor had told her, if there was going to be a war, they would not be dueling and disarming their opponents. They would be battling to survive. Holly knew how Harry felt about killing, but he had to get over it. This was a life-and-death situation, and his fighting form wouldn't work.

“Can we get back to you, Hermione? There's something essential I need to talk to Harry about.”

Hermione hesitated, then nodded. Holly grabbed Harry's hand and led him out of the Common Room. They walked to an empty classroom, and Holly warded the room so no one could hear them. Holly walked away from her brother and looked outside. Harry stared at his sister, “Holly, what's wrong?”

Holly sighed and turned to face Harry, “Harry, I think we should do it.”

Harry nodded, “I think so too.”

“But Harry, we have to change their mentality. The students think that they'll be dueling fairly with the Death Eaters. You know that's not true. We can't teach them to duel; we must teach them Battle Magic. That means they have to learn to kill, not disarm.”

Harry's eyes widen, “But Holly!”

“Harry, think about it. What's the point of disarming and stupifying an opponent when their friends can revive them again, and we have to fight them again? They have to be eliminated whether we like it or not.”

“I don't want to be like Voldemort,” Harry commented.

“You're not. We are not indiscriminately killing people or torturing them. We are eliminating people who enjoy killing, torturing, and raping. If you want to teach dueling magic, Harry, you're on your own. I'm not setting these people up to fail.”