15. Those Days

- Third Person POV - 

-Flashback to 7 years ago –

"Shay, higher. Higher Shay" a small girl giggled as she was pushed on a swing. "If you go any higher Sky, you might be taken away from me" the older boy laughed at the small pout that had formed on the little girl's lips.

She didn't understand that she could hurt herself if she went any higher; that would be all of Shane's fault, just like everything was his fault.

"Sky, Shay" an older boy's voice caught the pair on the tree swing. The little girl tugged on the ropes to stop the swinging, wanting to get off so that she could get to her eldest brother. "Shay, down. Down!" the girl squealed.

"Alright, alright" the older boy scraped his feet on the sand, stopping the swing. As soon as he had placed the girl on the ground from his lap, she took off running towards the boy at the back door of the house.

He crouched down, opening his arms for her, which she crashed into, as he picked her up, swinging her legs around as her upper body was pulled into his chest. "I missed you" she mumbled.

Rylie Miller; the eldest boy of the Miller's, had only just gained custody of all his siblings 3 years ago. He had just returned from a long day of college, wanting nothing more than to just sit down and watch a movie with his younger brothers and sisters.

He had too look after a 3, 8, 11, two 13 and 15 year-olds with the help of his stepbrothers. Most of them weren't trouble, but it was the ones that were under the age of 10 that needed constant help with something.

But Rylie still had to fight for their guardianship. His grandparents wanted them to live with them, on a farm that was all the way in Canada; where he wouldn't be able to see any of them.

He just couldn't do it.

He would waste every single coin he had on his siblings, even if it meant keeping them together. "How about we give you a bath?" Rylie questioned the youngest, Skylar Miller.

She admired each and everyone of her siblings, but some were harsher than others. At the time, she didn't understand that they had been brought up to be rude to one another; that they would never need one another's help.

They just had to be that way.

But she was brought up without parents, and she preferred it that way or so she thought she would. She believed that Rylie, her almighty saviour would protect her from anything.

But nothing protected her from that one night where her mother stole her away from her brothers and drew a scar down her back.

Only Rylie and Shane knew about it, not wanting to scare the rest of them, but Skylar was the one that had to live with it for the rest of her life.