1. Fallen (apart)

Start from the beginning

"Parineet tum ek baar meri baat suno, mai sab kuch thik kar dunga.. mai Neeti ko.." Rajeev's face was glistening with tears, he wiped them away and almost choked at her reply.

"Isse thik kuch nahi ho sakta. Mai aapko azaad kardu vahi behtar hai. Mai khud ko in uljhe huye rishton se azaad kar doon, vo hi sabse thik hai."

"But--" Rajeev never wanted this to happen. He never wanted to marry her at first place. It was a genuine concern from his side, for Parineet when she was being forced for her marriage with the guy who is nothing but a molester, a criminal. He couldn't see that happening in front of his eyes. But he never intended to help her by marrying Pari.

"I'll marry Pari." The words just slipped out of his mouth anyhow. He knew he's already in a relationship, a budding one, with Neeti. But Parineet happened to him in the most baffling situation.
Neeti, he started loving her dearly in their relationship and wanted to give Pari divorce and later on this situation reversed. He saw how much Pari cares for him, even when he gives her nothing in return. He fell for her love.
But then again, he was in a fix. He was stuck. He had to marry Neeti. Rajeev never knew that Pari and Neeti are best friends, and never did he wanted to be in a situation like this, stuck between two girls, who are senselessly in love with him and him, just cheating on them.

"I haven't told Neeti anything. I will never. Usko khush rakhna humesha please." Her words broke his heart and at the same time his mind baffled on seeing the girl standing in front of him. Her love for Neeti is far more loyal than his liking for her. She's a mountain, huge and strong. And he has lost the biggest strength of his life, by lying to her.

"Mujhe maaf kardo Pari.." he pleaded, his hands joined together. He can only ask for forgiveness.

"Keep her happy always. Neeti khush rahegi to samjh lena maine bhi maaf kardia hai." Came her reply, as Pari wiped a lone tear that was lying on her left cheek.

"Pari tum mujhe chod kar.."

"Chhod to aapne mujhe dia tha.. usi din jab aapne dusri shadi ki. How could you? Ek baar bhi mera khayal nahi aaya!? I get it that you weren't in love with me, but you knew that I loved you.. didn't you?" Her each word seemed a dagger to Rajeev. Each accusation was right and undeniable. He could have done that. He should have.

"Pari I am so sorry - I thought about everything - but that seemed right then -" He tried to justify but he knew that nothing can justify him right now. He's a culprit. Her culprit. And now it's too late.

"You could have divorced me beforehand."

"I couldn't. Tum Kahan jaati?" It was genuine. Even Pari knew at the moment, his concern was genuine but that seemed half truth to her. She can't believe him completely. She won't ever be able to trust him now.

"Kahin bhi... par.. ye?"

"I am sorry. Please don't go Pari."

"Mujhe jaana hi tha Rajeev. Either I would have distanced myself that day or today. You chose this day for me." Pari's throat was choking with the tears she didn't shed at the court hearing. Her chest was paining, she was feeling suffocated inside the large hall. It was becoming difficult to breathe the same air as Rajeev.

"Mai nahi -"

"Bye Rajeev." She walked out of the room, but the cries of their family members - his family members, could be heard.

"Beta tum.." Rajeev's aunt cried, unknown to the reason of this divorce. Pari didn't tell any of his family members the exact truth. How on earth she could tell that her husband has another wife? How she could have told them a truth so bitter, that too about their own son. Not an affair. Not a girlfriend. Not even a one night stand. But. A second wife. Who's her own best friend. Her heart throbs with pain and aches so much at the thought of it. She doesn't have one to voice it again and again. Neither she can see anyone falling apart in the family who gave her so much of love, warmth and affection in return of absolutely nothing. It was much better to say "it wasn't working anymore."