Chapter Sixteen

'Get off of her,' I bellow, swatting at the bat.

And with another hiss, the creature flies off into the night.

'I don't feel so good,' Rachel says. She's gone as white as a sheet. She looks like she's about to faint.

Eddy and Emily quickly grab her and place her softly on the ground.

'What's happening to me?'

'Is she going to turn into a vampire?' shrieks Peni.

'What?' Rachel moans weakly, starting to close her eyes. 'Am I? I'm not impressed.'

'Sorry, but you will if we don't get you potion,' replied Emily.

'Slithering silly snakes,' says Hank. 'Where are we going to find potion?'

'My parents are potion makers,' replies Emily. 'I think they have a recipe for stopping vampire transformations. We need to get to my place.'

'What are we waiting for?' I burst out.

'I feel so tired,' mutters Rachel. 'So, so tired.'

'Rachel, you need to stay awake, okay,' says Emily. She then turns to everyone else. 'We need to move fast.'

'Will we get to your place and make the potion in time?' asks Eddy.

'I really don't know.'

'That could help us get there faster,' says Hank. He points to a tram on the street right outside the zoo.

It's a tunneling tram.

'Brilliant,' I reply. 'But wait. Does anyone know how to drive it?'

'I do,' says Eddy, nodding. 'My dad used to operate one.'

We all help carry Rachel over and inside, laying her down on a row of red velvet seats.

Eddy then goes to the front and sits behind the wheel. And with a push of a lever, the tram roars to life. 'Everyone, hold on tight.'

While helping secure Rachel down with one hand, I grab a handrail with the other.

Then with another push of a lever, the tram dives straight into the ground.

My stomach goes all queasy.

I think I ate too much candy.

Don't throw up. Don't throw up. Don't throw up.

Eddy pushes a button and lights blare all around.

I can see dirt and rocks outside whipping by us.

'Can this thing go any faster?' shouts Emily. 'Rachel's just passed out. We need the potion now.'

Rachel's more than passed out. There are black veiny things around the bite marks.

'Will do,' Eddy shouts back. He turns a big red dial and the tram rockets forward. 'UH, OH!'

Don't say that.

'We've got something on our tail,' Eddy continues with earnest. 'It's big and closing in fast.'

'How'd you know?' I quiver.

'I can see it on the tram's monitor.'

I turn my head and just see the earth reforming back in place behind us.

I gotta say, these tunneling trams are quite the marvel.

'I don't see anything,' I say.

'IT'S RIGHT ON US.'

WHAM!!

'AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!'

The tram lurches violently to the side, knocking everyone to the floor. We start swerving uncontrollably until Eddy gets back behind the wheel and rights us.