CHAPTER FIVE

The plane finally landed and as soon as the doors opened, I was one of the first to leave. It was my first time on a standard flight, always travelling on a private jet and despite being in first class; the experience wasn't made any better. Not only was the experience a cause of my quick departure, it was the need to get to Sam as quickly as possible; too much time has passed for my liking. With no luggage to collect, I quickly followed the few other passengers with only hand luggage to have my passport checked and entered the busy airport in quick time. I stuck to the crowds and blended into the throng of people, hoping I wouldn't be recognised should anyone be looking for me.

Once in the cab I managed to obtain, my heart rate finally calmed down, but I was far from alright. It had been hours since I learnt that my Father knew about Sam and a few less since he must have realised I was missing. I just hope my Father doesn't guess where I was heading and no one was waiting for me because I have no weapon, only my own strength which is good and fast, but not necessarily enough against a gun if the shooter has perfect shot. I haven't the time to acquire anything though and have no way to check if the apartment looks safe. I still have a good half hour drive ahead of me too; lucky the traffic is light enough. I just hope Sam is alright. I was so tempted to call him again, hoping he'd finally pick up and tell me he'd misplaced his phone or something, but I had left my newly acquired phone in the cab in Mexico; not as though they'd be able to trace the phone, but I wasn't go take any chances.

I was concerned when I entered the main lobby to the apartment building and made it to the lifts without hassle. Yes, I had a key to the main door but the Security bloke wouldn't recognise me, so why had he let me pass without question; this place is supposed to be secure. The trip in the elevator seemed to take forever. I was only going to the seventh floor, yet it felt like I was travelling to the seventieth. When the metal doors finally opened I had to think for a second of what way I had to turn and remembered it was a right. Rushing down the lit corridor I didn't bother to take it in, only focusing on getting to the third door on the left that would get me to my destination; Sam.

Sighing in relief when I found the white door closed, I took a deep breath and decided to knock on the door loudly. I just hope that I wasn't waking Sam up because it was fast approaching midnight. When I heard no sound or movement I decided to use my key to open the apartment door and found the lights on. I called Sam's name, but still I was met was nothing. As I stepped further into the neat apartment I noticed nothing out of the ordinary, till I saw brown bags on the floor, groceries fallen from them.

"Sam" I called out, trying to keep panic out of my voice as I went further into the apartment; Still nothing. I called again and heard a little whimper coming from the Kitchen area 'N, Nick'

"Sammy" I cried almost in relief as I ran around the breakfast bar and into the Kitchen, but halted when I saw him curled up. I collapsed to the floor, my chest aching as I took in his tear stained face, swollen eyes and few bruises forming on his sad face.

"Sammy" I choked as I crawled over to him "What happened" and why was he in just his briefs I thought.

"You, you shouldn't be here" his voice hoarse and strained

"Who done this" I asked reaching him, finally, but obviously way too late.

"I don't know. I couldn't see" his voice barely audible.

"I'm so sorry" I sobbed, wrapping my arms around his now uncurled body and pressing my face into his bare chest "I'm so sorry" I repeated as the tears fell from my eyes.

I was crying, really crying and it was something I've never really done, even as a child. Yes, when I was tiny I cried a bit like little kids do, but learnt that tears done nothing. But seeing my friend hurt because of me broke me. It was my entire fault; I should have walked away.