Ch.19: A God's Tears

"So, you've decided to ask for my help again." The sound of feet shuffling inside my room grew closer as Decimus approached me from behind.

I didn't look at him, my eyes momentarily fixating on the view from the balcony. My room was on the top floor of the Paeonia Inn, and while it wasn't as spacious or luxurious as the one I had in Imarnia, I've always enjoyed the landscape it offered. Granted, Ellesmere was a city of brownstone and copper, so not much greenery weaved between the lofty buildings. But a streak of blue glimmered as the Citar river trickled by, allowing a hint of lively colors.

Decimus joined me in the open-air space, and I glanced up at him, only to have my eyes drift downwards as Aramis' form greeted me. He had a content smile tugging on his lips as his flame-spotted eyes met my similar ones -no longer the jade green I had become acquainted with.

"Why the change?" I asked, watching him drag a plastic chair from the small, round table outside. It scraped against the floor as he settled it beside me and climbed on top, supporting his arms on the white-painted railings.

"Figured you might be more comfortable with this form," he replied.

I suppressed a bitter snort. Something in his face softened as he regarded me and said, "I'm glad you've decided to talk to me again, Lydia."

"I don't recall ever saying I wouldn't."

"True." He bobbed his head. "But after our last meeting, I thought you would be done with me."

"Well, that depends," I considered. "Do you have answers to my questions?"

Aramis sighed, tucking his hands inside the wide sleeves of his scarlet robe. "Lydia, you already know I can't disclose matters which have not yet unfolded. I'm afraid I won't be of help to you in that department."

"Oh, I know," I said, leaning my back against the handrails and facing him. "But I bet you're aware of why I called for you. I'm sure you know what happened to Gabriel and Queen Adria. Redmond managed to break her stone."

A gentle breeze flickered by, ruffling the mass of hair that fell over his eyes. I pushed the few strands that tickled my face behind my ear, observing Aramis' expression.

"You want to know if she'll wake up?" he prodded. "You'll know soon enough."

I shook my head. "No, that's not why. I won't ask you what will or won't happen. I just need to know about one thing. Alchemy."

Aramis' bushy eyebrows lifted, and the corner of his mouth cranked upwards. "Interesting. Why is that?"

I narrowed my eyes at him, folding my arms over my chest. "Really? Don't give me that. You know why. Uzier is half-mortal; that's what you wanted me to find out, right?" His head dipped from side to side as if to say, 'maybe, maybe not.' "He used alchemy to construct the stones, and I want to know the method behind that."

Aramis hummed. "I see. So, you think knowing would help you destroy Gabriel's gem?"

"I know it's a possibility. After all, Redmond did. But...he's in that weird state. The queen also isn't waking up. If there's another method to breaking the stones, it might help to avoid taking drastic measures."

My concern wasn't entirely for myself, either. What if I attempted to break Gabriel's stone and it backfired? And what if I prevail at it, but he ends up like Queen Adria?

I couldn't take any risks!

Aramis seemed to note the worry clouding my face and said, "I'm afraid such a direct question can't be answered so simply. Alchemy is indeed a mortal science. Essentially, it is the process of taking something quite ordinary, like a single stone, for example, and transforming it into something remarkable, something that holds power."