Ch.1: The Lure of Dreams

I had forgotten what it felt like - the feeling of his fingers against my skin

It reminded me of my fire and how it seeped into every bone within my body. A blissful sigh escaped my lips as I nudged further into his naked chest, inhaling the sweet smell of musk I had grown to miss. He lifted a hand to caress my bare arm, his long fingers trailing down the smooth skin.

"We should do this more often," Gabriel sighed, lips hovering over my forehead.

I pulled my head back, raising an eyebrow at our unclothed state. "I think we've done this quite plenty."

He released a short laugh. "I don't mean this," he pressed his hips into mine, and I hummed approvingly at the gesture. "I meant we should wake up next to each other more. Whether fully clothed or not."

I bit my lip to suppress the gleeful smile and pretended to be distracted by the few black hairs that fell over his forehead. "Mhmm, perhaps."

Something like disappointment crossed his features. "Does that mean you don't enjoy my company?"

I couldn't help the surprised laugh that came out of me when seeing how genuine his expression was. "No, that's not it," I clarified. "But it's possible people might get the wrong idea."

"The wrong idea? Lydia, everyone in the entire palace knows what we're doing. I think they can hear it too."

I blushed at that information. "I just don't want to overstep."

"No one would dare say a word."

"Still," I shrugged, lowering my head to avoid his determined stare. "Perhaps it's better to just stay like this."

He took my chin with his fingers and angled my head, so I wouldn't have anywhere to look but his stormy-grey eyes. "Why do you always say this? It's as if you've convinced yourself there can't be anything more."

His words rattled me, but I didn't allow that to show. "I'm just happy I got you back, Gabriel. I'm not sure I'm ready for such a big...change."

"Gods, Lydia!"He breathed out. "I'm only asking for a little here."

Before I could give any more excuses, his hand trailed down to my breasts. He caught one and squeezed it gently, his thumb brushing over the tightened nipple. The little action sent small ripples of pleasure down my spine, and suddenly I didn't know how to form words.

"Gabriel..." I tried to talk him out of it, but his name came out as a plea.

He tipped his head to capture the sensitive bud in his mouth, lazily circling his tongue around it. I pressed my hand to my lips, failing to lower my whimpers.

"Is it too much to ask?" He mumbled to my chest. "I only want to wake up with you in my arms every day."

"Why would you-" I managed to let out, but the words were cut short when his teeth tugged gently on my nipple.