Ch.6: Escape

Gabriel's shadow strings tugged down further, rendering me immobile

Gabriel's shadow strings tugged down further, rendering me immobile. Redmond was lying on his side, attempting to move, but the invisible chains pinned him to the ground. Although my head was forced low, my sight wouldn't shift from the king's deadpan eyes.

There were no emotions in them. Not even anger. He certainly didn't seem to recognize me.

The thought caved deep in my chest, and coldness overwhelmed me. "Gabriel..."

I tried to speak, but his fingers had clenched, and I jerked sharply by my neck. The action had caused me to lay flat on my stomach, my knees still bent, and my face pressed against the sand. I coughed the mouthful I had inhaled in.

"Save your breath, girl," Evine's mouth twisted in a wicked smile, amused by the situation. She placed a gloved hand on Gabriel's shoulder as if she was petting him. "There's nothing left in him anymore. An obeying dog, that's all he is now. How he always will be."

The jewel on his forehead glimmered, and I could sense the terrible magic rumbling from within. Gabriel didn't flinch. He didn't even show any indication that he was bothered by being called a 'dog.'

No. He just stared at me. Unfeeling.

It was that stone. It had to be. It was carved deep into his flesh, the scarring still red and visible around it.

Around me, Adria was still wreaking havoc. Along with that wizard hunter, Jura. I couldn't see much, but I could hear the screams. Moving wasn't an option. Every muscle in my body was restricted due to Gabriel's magic.

"They should be done soon," said Evine, looking over at the chaos she orchestrated. My nerves pulsed with fire at the expression she had on. She looked bored!

She clicked her tongue, crouching down to grab my chin. I tried to jerk away from her touch, but she had her grip on me.

"Well, it's not the most prosperous hunt for my men, but I suppose this shitty, forgotten town will do," her lips spread in a smile, one that sent shivers down my core. I couldn't take my eyes off the harsh gash across her neck, still bright red as if made yesterday.

"How is it you're still alive?" I asked her. "Gabriel told me you killed yourself, cut your own throat."

His mother had died that day, too, at the exact moment Evine supposedly took her own life.

"Interesting question. Would you like me to tell you, or show you?" She released a small laugh, devoid of any humor.

She let go of me and retrieved a small dagger from the belt around her waist. She toyed with the tip, flipping the blade by the handle. "Hmm," she sauntered towards Redmond, and the dread within me intensified. She grabbed him by the hair, yanking his head to her chest. "You have a pretty face, boy."

I thrashed around, my fingers clawing on the ground in an attempt to lift myself up. But to no use. Gabriel's magic was like a boulder being crushed on my back.