Part 12

The shadows of tall trees flashed over the vehicle as it drove down an old paved road. The bright blue Maine sky peeking down unto it through the tops of trees. Light flickered within the car as it made its way. The sound of the summer air rushing past the old car. The Trans Am flew down the road, turning a corner on a particularly disheveled road.

The driver glanced between the name of the streets and the crumpled piece of paper in his hands. His nose scrunched up and he squinted harshly to find his way through. At one point he knew every road in Derry by heart. It even surprised him that he needed directions now. But he guessed that four years away does that to a person.

His stomach turned and his heart raced when he entered the small town just a few moments ago. He hadn't felt so uneasy in years. He took deep breaths as he turned a corner into the parking lot of an old apartment building. A few of the residence sat in fold-out chairs smoking and drinking their Saturday away.

He parked the car and sat there for a moment. He took a deep breath as he read the address one more time on the paper. He'd never been there before, not even when he lived in Derry. It was a mystery to him. The buildings certainly weren't new. They were old, some crumbling with half-assed repairs. It made his heart sink into his chest to be there.

He wondered what she would look like now. The last time he laid his eyes on her, she was waving goodbye outside of Derry's old courthouse. He didn't want to remember the trial, or the events prior. But that was impossible. He thought about it too much for his liking anyway. It kept him up some nights. He had nightmares about it.

He and Victor had testified in the case. Stating that she didn't mean to kill him, but he had killed her boyfriend and when he went to do the same to her she pushed him over the edge in self defense. The body of Patrick had never been found, leaving some to theorize that he was still alive. But that was bullshit anyway, they saw him die. They watched his lifeless body float down the quarry. But without his body, they couldn't find any evidence. And so the case was dismissed. She was free to go.

Reginald stepped out of the car and closed it behind him as he looked for the right apartment. He walked across the roughly paved lot to the men sitting in chairs outside of their building. They watched him with squinted eyes as he approached.

"Can I help you?" One man groaned, taking a gulp of his cheap beer. His belly bounced with his jowls as he cleared his throat. They glared at the newcomer.

"I'm looking for apartment 235." He told them. They looked at one another with emotionless eyes before the one just pointed past himself.

"Down that path, on your second left."

"Thanks." He dismissed himself and followed the path. The wet green grass under his boots made an obnoxious 'shloshing' sound that repeated itself as he walked deeper into the buildings. In the center was a kids playground made of old plastic and metal. It was covered with graffiti to the point you couldn't tell what color it was before. It had been there for years. No children played there, but he could hear children's laughter and shouting coming from somewhere beyond a few of the apartments. Reginald couldn't imagine being outside so much in the humidity anymore. How did kids do it? He wiped away the sweat from the back of his neck and sighed as he came across the number.

He stopped in front of the door which sat on a concrete slab. It was right beside a metal staircase which led up to more tenants. It took him a good long moment before he got the courage to lean forward and knock. The few seconds between his knocking and the answer was painful. Maybe she wasn't home. Maybe he had the wrong building. He hoped so. But before he shuffled his feet away to walk away, the door came open with a smack.

A young woman stood there with her arm stretched for the door. Her eyes were dull and heavy bags hung underneath them. Her mouth in a tight frown. Her hair a mess, pulled back in a ponytail that hung to her shoulders. Her neck was thinner than Reggie remembered it being. She had lost weight, a noticeable amount to the point where it made him uncomfortable to see her so disheveled. Once her eyes found him, they lit up. Her frown slowly turned into a cute smile that brightened his heart. Her posture straightened.