10: Training

Stiles knocked on the window, peeking in through the crack in the curtains. He could hear Scott inside, turning around in his bed. He knocked a little louder but was answered with the other boys snores.

Stiles silently popped the latch on the window and climbed in like he had done many times before. He shut the window behind himself, fixing the curtains so the early morning light wouldn't disturb them. He felt himself smile at the sight of Scott sleeping, his face calm and his hair tussled. He toed off his shoes and stripped down to his boxers. He hadn't been home yet and he didn't want to mess up Scott's bed with blood and dirt.

He climbed in next to his best friend who instinctively curled up against him. Stiles wrapped his arms around him, holding him close. Cuddling was nothing new for them. They had been cuddling since they were four years old. But it felt different to him now. He couldn't explain it. He felt fulfilled.

He could hear the moment Scott began to wake up. His even breathing began to speed slightly and he let out a small groaning noise. He moved slightly and his heart rate sped erratically. His brown doe eyes snapped open.

"Jesus, Stiles." Scott groaned, calming back down and putting his head on Stiles' chest.

Stiles laughed, rubbing Scott's arm. "Sorry, buddy."

Scott just rolled his eyes before closing them again. "What're you doing here?"

"I wanted to apologise for running off last night."

Scott leaned his head on his hand and gazed at Stiles with a frown. "What happened? Lydia said you just walked off."

Stiles licked his lip to wet it. "Must've been the alcohol." He lied with a shrug.

Scott accepted his lie but the look on his face let Stiles know that that wasn't the end of the conversation.

"Are you okay now?"

"Yeah, fine." Stiles smiled reassuringly at him. "Are you okay? Sorry for leaving you stranded, especially with... Allison." He choked her name out like it physically hurt him.

Scott just shrugged and looked away, not noticing Stiles' discomfort. "I'm fine. I mean, I'll never be able to show my face in school again but I'm fine." He joked, smiling brightly at Stiles before groaning. "She had told me it was family game night. She probably didn't think I would go anyway. She was there with Jackson."

Stiles closed his eyes and took a deep breath through his nose, silently seething at the idea of the two of them hurting Scott. "Well she sounds like she sucks." He grit out through his teeth.

Scott shrugged and pulled himself up and out of the bed. "She's not so bad. Hey, are those your clothes from last night? Did you not go home?"

"Oh um, I passed out when I got home. Forgot to change."

Scott raised his eyebrow, obviously not believing him. "How long have you been here?"

Stiles thanked the heavens for the second chance to lie. "Okay, I came here late last night. I just meant to check on you but you looked so cosy I just had to crash here." Stiles said with a teasing tone, rolling onto his stomach to watch Scott pull his clothes on.

"Creep. Wanna help me make breakfast? Mom has the day off."

Stiles nodded and got up despite being exhausted. He stole a clean shirt and gym shorts from Scott and pulled them on.

They both sneaked passed Melissa's door and down the stairs. Scott busied himself with heating the frying pan while Stiles beat the eggs in a bowl. He smiled to himself as he did so, glancing at Scott who was now making coffee. Scott looked at him, feeling his eyes on him.

"What?"

"Nothing." Stiles grinned, taking over omelette duty.

They had spent the rest of the day playing video games and making dinner for Melissa. They were mundane things that they did every day but to Stiles it felt special. Maybe it was because he thought he had lost Scott twice over the course of a few days. He felt better when the heat from Scott radiated on his side when they sat together.

He had stayed the night at Scott's after shooting a quick text to his dad. By the time he had woken up on Sunday morning Scott had already left for work.

It was the only reason Stiles had agreed to meet Derek. Scott had work at the clinic on a Sunday and he knew it would be too obvious if he hung around there. Not to mention Deaton would reprimand him for standing in the way like he has had to do on multiple occasions.

Stiles climbed out of his jeep and looked around. He strained his ears for any movement in the woods. He cautiously stalked towards the old Hale House, or rather what was left of it. His eyes scanned the area.

Stiles was suddenly tackled from the side. He made a noise of surprise before scrambling free from Derek's hold.

"Lesson one, you have to be more aware of your surroundings."

"Hello to you to." Stiles grumbled, getting up and brushing leaves off his pants.

Derek circled around him, his eyes glowing blue. "You'll have to train fast. Another hunter got to town last night. Her name is Kate Argent. She's the one that did this." He gestured to what was once his house. "She's the most dangerous, she doesn't follow their code."

Stiles gulped and nodded. "So she knows about you?"

"They all do. And now they know of you. They don't know who you are but they know there's another beta. That means they're going to try to use you to get to the alpha."

Stiles licked his bottom lip nervously and nodded. "Okay, consider me officially freaked out." He nodded. "Whatever it takes then."

Derek's smirk grew evil as he stalked around Stiles before disappearing completely. Stiles brought out his claws, crouching into a striking position. He once again listened for any movement.

He heard Derek before he felt him. He heard his heartbeat coming up behind him and spun around to grab him. He flung the older man to the ground before jumping on top of him to punch him. Derek quickly flipped them, more experienced in fighting. Stiles growled and swiped at him, missing only by a millimetre.

"Come on, Stiles, you can do better than that." Derek taunted, swiping Stiles with his own claws.

Stiles flipped them over again and jumped up, glancing down at his healing wound. He went for Derek again, claws swinging.

Derek laughed at him, easily moving out of the way. "That the best you got?"

Stiles lunged forward, tackling Derek back onto the floor. He successfully dug his claws into him and let out a snarl.

The two tussled for almost an hour before Stiles had called a timeout. He sat on the dirt panting and holding his recovering arm.

"You're not going to win against the alpha like that, Stiles."

Stiles just glared in return.

"Maybe you need some motivation." Derek hummed thoughtfully. "When does Scott get off work? We can see if he fairs out any better." He grinned.

Stiles shot to his feet, a snarl ripping from his throat. He lunged at Derek and lashed out at him manically.

"Don't. You. Dare. Even. Think. Of. Him." Stiles growled, punctuating every word with a swipe. He didn't stop until Derek was gasping for breath and Stiles was sprayed with his blood.

He drove away leaving Derek bleeding on the grass.