6: Killing Spree

"Stiles, wait up." Scott gasped, bringing his inhaler to his lips once again as they trekked through Beacon Hills Preserve.

Stiles paused for his friend, wanting to give him a minute to breathe. His new werewolf senses amplified Scott's quick heartbeat and strangled breaths. Quite frankly, it worried Stiles.

They had driven to the woods right after lacrosse practice. Lacrosse was quickly becoming one of Stiles' favourite things, partially due to the game itself but mostly due to the look on Jacksons face. Stiles couldn't wait to rub in the fact that he had a date with Lydia.

He really could not think of a downside to the whole werewolf thing.

"Do you even remember where you were?" Scott asked eventually, beginning to walk again. "I mean, does anything look familiar?"

Stiles nodded. He could smell his own scent as they moved through the trees in hopes of locating Stiles' phone. "Yeah, I remember going this way." Stiles reassured.

He could feel the nervousness radiating off Scott. Even without werewolf powers Stiles could see Scott's eyes darting around like a scared animal. Every little sound made him jump and move closer to Stiles. Stiles felt powerful knowing he could now protect Scott.

Stiles suddenly stopped, he put his hand up for Scott to stop also. He could hear another heartbeat close to them. He quickly put a hand over Scott's mouth when he opened it to speak. Scott looked at him with wide, frightened eyes.

Suddenly, a figure was walking out from the shadows. It was a man of average height but Stiles could tell from his build that he was strong. The man in the leather jacket stared at them with an angry look. Stiles moved over, a subtle movement that hid Scott mostly behind him.

"What're you doing out here? This is private property."

Stiles' eyes widened as he finally recognised the man. Derek Hale. One of the only survivors of the Hale House fire as he had been at school that day. Stiles already didn't trust him, there was something off about him that he couldn't explain. His eyes glowed at the sight of him, Derek's flashed back, a bright blue, before returning to normal.

Derek was a werewolf, or something similar. Stiles hadn't seen anything about blue eyes in his research.

He stiffened up.

"We were- We were just looking for something. Sorry," Scott spoke up, leaning around his best friend to look at the man. He began to gently tug Stiles' sleeve, trying to get him to move.

Derek then threw something which Stiles caught with ease. He looked down to see his phone and raised his eyebrow at Derek.

"Thanks." He said, holding up his phone. He didn't make any move to leave.

He watched as Derek turned stiffly and walked away, in the direction of the ruins of the Hale House. He looked away from where the man had disappeared when he felt a tugging on his sleeve again.

"Stiles, let's go before we get done for trespassing." Scott huffed, starting to make his way back to where Stiles had parked his jeep.

Stiles nodded and once again took the lead, knowing the quickest route out of the trees. He pressed the button on his phone. The phone screen lit up with a little lightening bolt to showcase that it was dead. Stiles shoved it back in his pocket.

"That guy was so creepy," Scott mumbled the second they had climbed into the safety of the jeep.

"Scott," Stiles gave him an incredulous look. "That was Derek Hale."

Scott just shrugged and raised an eyebrow. "Who?"

"Dere- The Hale House fire! His whole family burnt to death."