xi. sunset of the crows

xi.
CHAPTER ELEVEN
Sunset of the Crows
≿————- ❈ ————-≾

        AS THE GROUP TRAVELED on the bumpy roads, sitting on their makeshift seats, it finally hit Aella that the quest was real

AS THE GROUP TRAVELED on the bumpy roads, sitting on their makeshift seats, it finally hit Aella that the quest was real. It wasn't a dream, it wasn't a small trip, not a hangout with friends—but a quest for a captured goddess. At least no one had done this one before.

The danger was real, and Aella's stomach churned anxiously when she thought of the prophecy. She couldn't handle two people dying under her watch. Not again. Especially not with Thalia. And now Percy? Grover and Bianca? Prophecy or not, she refused to let any of them face harm. Her deep-seated instincts after years of traveling with half-bloods disallowed it.

        They were crossing the Potomac when Aella spotted the helicopter. It was a sleek, black military model just like the one they'd seen at Westover Hall. And it was coming straight toward them.

        "They know the van," Percy said. "We have to ditch it."

        Zoe swerved into the fast lane. The helicopter was gaining.

        "Floor it," Aella said. Thalia hit her shoulder lightly.

         "Maybe the military will shoot it down," Grover hoped.

          "The military probably thinks it's one of theirs," Percy said. "How can the General use mortals, anyway?"

        "Mercenaries," Zoe said bitterly. "It is distasteful, but many mortals will fight for any cause as long as they are paid." Aella hummed in agreement. She'd spent enough time in mortal places trying to save half-bloods to get an idea of how dangerous they could be, especially to demigods.

         "But don't these mortals see who they're working for?" Percy asked. "Don't they notice all the monsters around them?"

        Zoe shook her head. "I do not know how much they see through the Mist. I doubt it would matter to them if they knew the truth. Sometimes mortals can be more horrible than monsters."

        The helicopter kept coming, making a lot better time than they were through D.C. traffic. Now, if Zoë just let Aella drive, they'd be halfway across the country. Aella rolled her eyes at nothing. Hunters.

         Thalia closed her eyes and prayed hard. "Hey, Dad. A lightning bolt would be nice about now. Please?"

          But the sky stayed gray and snowy. No sign of a helpful thunderstorm, not that it surprised Aella. Zeus was probably so far up his own ass to hear his own child's pleas.