ONE.

EVELYN

"Again, Evelyn!" The coach shouted from the players box. The ice was freezing cold below me but it was something that I usually welcomed. This was my home, I spent all my time here and honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way. Taking a deep breath in, I rolled onto my back, staring up at the fluorescent white lights above me and spread my arms and legs out into a starfish position. I just wanted to lay here for a moment.

I could hear my coach getting frustrated as I continued to stay on the ground. The sound of her shoes could be heard as she crossed the ice and stood above me. "No street shoes on the ice, Amanda." I grinned at her and she rolled her eyes. She hated it when I called her by her first name. I sighed and rolled back over, standing up from the cold floor and brushing the little bit's of ice that had clung to my clothes. She hurried off the ice and went back to the players box as I took another lap around the rink. An olympic sized rink, big enough to fit most of the college campus on.

"Eve!" A flash of blue hair caught my attention as I made another lap, counting two now. I quickly came to a stop, trying my hardest not to slam into the wall as my speed decreased. My best friend, Mackenzie stood leaning against the outside of the rink, waving her hand at me. I smiled at her quickly and glanced over at Amanda. She scowed and I couldn't help but laugh. Practice was technically over so I could do what I wanted now. "Tomorrow 9am, Evelyn. Two hour practice with no distractions!" She ordered but broke out into a smile and shaking her head before exiting the players box. She disappeared without another word.

I started making my way off the ice, the zamboni already making its way out to smooth over the ice I had carved up. The college hockey team had practice next. Mackenzie grabbed my blade covers off the side of the rink and passed them over to me. I thanked her and placed them on my blades, making my way over to my bag. She followed, already chatting about some party going on tonight. Apparently my twin brother, Luke, would be playing there with his new band. I vaguely remembered Luke going on about it the other day when we met up for breakfast the other morning.

Ever since we got to college we hadn't really been seeing a lot of each other. I had my normal classes, as well as dance classes and skating practice pretty much everyday but I always made it work. Skating was my life. I had been doing it since I was a kid and was ecstatic when Luke and I were accepted into the same college. He was here to study music and I was here on an athletic scholarship for skating, but I was studying nursing instead of music. I, too, was also into music, so he and I had been taking the same music class, as was mackenzie. I must have been in my own thoughts for longer than I thought as Mackenzie pushed me lightly, furrowing her eyebrows at me.

"Sorry, what were you talking about?" I gave her an apologetic look and she shook her head, once again speaking about the party. This time I was listening as she spoke, lacing up my shoes and shoving my ice skates into their bag. Mackenzie helped me carry my bag out of the rink, and back through the campus. "Look, if Luke's new band is playing then of course I'll be there. but I can't be there all night. 2 hour practice tomorrow morning, remember?"

She rolled her eyes but nodded. They all knew how much skating meant to me, how much I loved the competitions and how hard I worked to get into this school on the scholarship. I couldn't let my grades or practices drop, otherwise i'd be in danger of losing the scholarship. but I would attend this party no matter what. I would be there to support my twin, whatever it takes.

Mackenzie walked me back to the on campus apartment and helped me carry my bags inside but then left, stating that she'd come and get me on her way to the party. Shutting the door after she left, I sighed, leaning against it as I took a deep breath in. I wasn't really a big fan of parties, and I wasn't one for so much social activity in one night. For Luke, I reminded myself as I made my way to the bathroom to shower and get ready.

a/n

welcome! i had the idea for this book a while ago when 5sos released their song 'empty wallets' so i thought it was time to start writing it. this first draft has been sitting here for a while. the characters of this story, evelyn and mackenzie are from my original 5sos story i wrote back in 2014. i've recently unpublished it but it couldn't let the characters go or the storyline of luke and evelyn being twins, which was my favorite main storyline from my original book.

this book will contain smut, drug use (mainly weed), and other adult themes. i've never really written with these subjects, none of my other books included them or i was too young to write it at the time. so please be kind, and bear with me. i will make this book as good as i possibly can.

anyway, enjoy this book, my goal is to write chapters every few days (my goal for the rest of my books as well).