CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: Commerce and Knox

On April the first, 2019, the Earth was destroyed in a cataclysmic event. Billions of people were wiped out in a matter of minutes. Ironically, the seven survivors of the apocalypse were the siblings that brought it on.

"Ah!" I fell from the sky and watched helplessly as the electric blue portal crackled away revealing the starry night sky. "Five?" I looked around at my peculiar surroundings. "When... am... Ah?" I muttered. "Why does this look familiar?"

I watched as boxed cars passed by, their headlights illuminating the rain. I saw the women were in neat dresses and hats that covered much of their short hair and men in suspenders and slacks with clean cut hair and shaves, all with umbrellas in their hands.

This kinda reminds me of—it can't be... I went slack-jawed for a moment at my new surroundings then diverted my dumbfounded stare to my bleeding wound. Okay.. okay... A'm fine. Totally, totally fine. I stumbled out of the alley that I'd appeared in and limped down the road until I saw a clue as to where and when I am and soon found a street sign.

Commerce
Knox

"Street down, city, state, and year tae go." I sighed. Thankfully luck was on my side when I spotted a poster across the old-timey street and hurriedly limped across it. A car abruptly stopped and honked at me. "Sorry!" I gritted my teeth. I plucked the paper from it's spot.

—————

Come join us September 19th for a night of music and dancing with 1924's coolest cat, Wendell Hall in our very own Dallas Amphitheater!

—————

"I'm in the Roaring '20s." A quiet laugh escaped my mouth. It was a mix of fear from ending up in a different time than the rest and ecstatic joy of being back in one of my favorite decades again and this time not on a mission. My face brightened when a realization struck me. Wait... A'm in '24 in Dallas... "Gill's here."

I scanned the streets until I spotted a phone booth then scrambled over to it. I flipped open the phone book and squinted my eyes to find his name on the page in the dark, if he was even still using it. He said he'd be in Dallas.

I picked up the candlestick telephone and hastily clicked a few sticky buttons and turned the dial. "Ew." I twirled the cord nervously as the phone began to ring. "Pease pick up—"

"Hello?" a tired voice answered.

"Gill?"

"Mayybe. Depends who's asking."

"It's Cameron." I smiled.

"Ronny? Oh my God. Did you talk to Lila?"

"Aye, aye I did, but can I ask you for a favor?"

"Yeah, sure. Anything for you."

"Ah need a place to crash and Ah just... It's been a long week... It'd be really nice to talk to someone familiar."

"Yeah, yeah, of course. Did she give you my address?"

"Aye. I just wanted to make sure you were still there." I grinned and my eyes watered. "You have no idea how happy I am to hear your voice." Lila and him were my best friends for seventeen years. We did everything together. And yeah, there were a few moments where we almost became more but it never really happened despite Lila's constant protest. I loved Five.

"I can say the same thing about you." He gleefully chuckled. "Okay, I-I-I'll see you in a hot second."

"See you in a bit." I hung up the phone and smiled. A'm gonna see Gilligan. I internally squealed.