Chapter Twenty-Nine - Azalea's Vows

Start from the beginning

"It's a lovely day. I'm sure the view down there will be wonderful." Francesca commented before waving at Azalea as she walked off.

Azalea continued out the door in eager excitement. She had a bounce to her step. Although she wasn't running per se, she tried to walk at a faster pace, not knowing how long Renée had been waiting now.

Too bad text messages aren't a thing here...or cellphones for that matter.

Azalea thought to herself. The lakeside wasn't very far, maybe a 15 minute walk from the castle. Azalea did not see Renée at first. She thought for a moment and considered that the Queen might be on the other side of the lake, where it was heavily forested. As she headed towards that area, she suddenly saw movement to her right. However, when she turned her head to look, she didn't see anything.

It's probably just a wild animal.

Azalea thought, but she still felt a bit unnerved. Just for good measure, she turned in a circle to look in her vicinity again. There was no one there. She relaxed and headed towards the forested area again. As she approached, she could see Renée standing there and greeting her with a bright smile.

"I was hoping you would want to take a walk with me." She said in greeting, taking the girl into an embrace as Azalea approached her.

Azalea felt her heart flutter at the affection again. "That sounds lovely." She could not contain her happiness. Although Renée was often cold and unemotional, she reserved a softer and more affectionate side for the girl who had made her feel true affection for the first time in years.

Azalea hesitated for a split second before reaching for Renée's hand. The older woman smiled at her before taking it. "I do apologize for making you skip breakfast. I wouldn't have been upset if you had eaten first." She said as they started to walk.

"I didn't want to make you wait. I wasn't that hungry anyways." Azalea said earnestly. Unfortunately for her, her stomach let out a soft rumble at that moment and she blushed.

Renée chuckled. "I would have brought some food, but breakfast wasn't ready yet when I set out." She squeezed the young girl's hand gently.

"Why were you out here so early?" Azalea wondered. She wondered when Renée had come into her room because she hadn't woken up at all.

"Sometimes I enjoy taking long walks at dawn. It's a very peaceful time to just think." Renée responded after a moment of silence.

"I used to take long walks back home too." Azalea smiled at Renée. "I especially loved jogging by the beach that was close to campus."

Azalea noticed the Queen looking at her with the same fascination she always did when she mentioned the other world. "Zali..." Renée finally spork after a moment. She stopped walking and turned to face the girl, taking her other hand as well. "I cannot begin to express the extent of my affection for you." She hesitated. "You have shown me what it is like to be cared for, and to care for someone deeply. I...love you, Zali...but I fear above everything that I will lose you eventually."

Azalea froze, blinking a few times in disbelief and hesitation before raising Renée's hands in her own. "My Queen...I love you too." She said softly, knowing that she meant it. Azalea wasn't entirely sure what had spurred this topic suddenly, but she presumed the Queen was worried that she would be returned to her world. It was a topic that hung heavily over Azalea as well, even though she tried to not dwell on it too often.

Azalea sighed again before smiling weakly at Renée. "I can't promise I won't be taken away. I don't understand the forces that have brought me here in the first place. It felt like a dream for weeks, until..." she trailed off, biting her lip. "Now the other world feels like the dream, despite having spent my life there. Every day when I wake up, I am grateful that I am here, with you."

Renée squeezed her hands silently at this. Azalea continued. "I can't promise that I won't be taken away," she repeated, "but if I am, I promise to try my hardest to find my way back to you. I won't give up...for as long as I live, I will love you."

For the first time in weeks, Renée finally felt her heart settling fully. She smiled weakly back at the girl before gently caressing her cheek and bringing her lips up for a tender kiss. She could feel the girl smiling against her lips and she wrapped her arms around her waist.

Unfortunately, the peace did not last long. Renée heard hurried footsteps and quickly stepped back from the girl before seeing Alden hurrying along the trail behind Azalea. Azalea looked confused too before she turned around as well and saw the former general. She waved to Alden, but Renée could tell by his expression that he was troubled. She placed her hands on Azalea's forearms gently. "Give us a moment?" Azalea looked confused, but nodded.

Renée quickly made her way over to Alden who had stopped several feet from them. "Yes?"

"He's back." Alden said quietly.

"What?" Renée furrowed her brows in confusion.

"Arthur." Alden said quietly. "He was spotted heading this way by one of the guards off duty. He quickly informed me and I came as fast as I could."

Renée felt her blood run cold. She snuck a glance at Azalea to make sure she couldn't hear them first. "Find him. Have several guards on duty at each location at all times." Then she sighed. "And move Azalea's belongings into my room. I want to keep an eye on her personally."

Alden nodded in understanding. "But don't speak of this to her. I don't want to alarm her."

———————————————————————————
*edited*

Hi everyone,

It's late but here's the chapter! 

Lots of love,
-Cindy