Chapter 14

Two months passed with Louis caring for the Queen. Her recovery had started with a rough patch, but surprisingly, Princess Gemma had been there to help him all along.

He grew closer to the Princess, his fondness for her increasing as they spent the days chatting with the Queen while Louis worked to heal her. He understood her initial questioning of him, there had been too many Sorcerers who came before him claiming to treat her mother but had prolonged her misery.

The Prince was reluctant to visit at first, lingering by the doors while his mother was asleep, and ignoring Louis' queries as to why he held back. The Queen asked after his son and Louis hated to see her saddened that Harry wouldn't come visit her.

His patience broke the day Queen Anne had cried from missing her son too much. He had marched up to the Prince and hadn't refrained from telling him how badly he was hurting his own mother for some misplaced notion that it had been his mistake.

Harry had gone with him then, apologising to his mother after which Louis had left them alone. He had later found them looking much happier, the redness in their eyes giving them away.

The Queen looked healthier now than when he had first arrived, pink tint returning to her skin, wrinkles much less pronounced, hair gaining their lustrous shine. She laughed and talked about all kinds of things with him and Gemma, and Louis fell in love with the two ladies.

They both hinted to the nature of his relationship with Harry, proding him gently to get close to the Prince, likely aware that he was dreaming of him day in and day out, and merely wanted a confession of his feelings.

Harry was unashamed in showing his affection, bringing Louis the rarest of gifts. He often found a piece of poetry lying beside his bed when he returned to his room after a long day, those were the gifts he cherished the most, keeping them safe and out of anyone's reach.

Louis didn't have the means to procure rare or prized gifts but he had his abilities. He made oils for the Prince to help his aching shoulder, a long lasting effect from a battle wound. When Harry had to leave the Capital for matters spreading to other parts of the nation, Louis would charm him with luck. It often lead to Harry returning with resolving whatever the issue was and showing Louis his gratitude quite enthusiastically at night.

Slowly, Louis started to feel as if this nation could be his home, too, that maybe he won't always be a foreigner. Nadia might have been correct, someday this land could be his to call home.

Nadia and Miriam continued their learnings, helping him with others who came seeking help as well. He encouraged them to do the work that didn't necessarily require magic; to put stitches and help those with pains or mild cold, brew potions for easily treatable illnesses.

He only asked for one of them at a time, the other always staying by the Queen's side.

Now that the Queen was in a better condition, Louis had time to indulge in other activities. He often found himself waiting in the stands and watching Harry train. The Prince was a force to be reckoned with, his movements agile and swift, sometimes bordering lethal but stopping before harming his own comrades.

Harry was still adamant in bringing him flowers, always presented artfully. The Prince was aware of Louis' knowledge about the language of flowers, and always chose them carefully, describing a thousand little things with his gesture. The arrangements had ranged from admiration to intimacy, a gentle fondness to a burning need.

Louis awaited the day he would receive a red rose, and recently he had found the Prince lingering by them when they walked through the garden.

He watched now as Harry sparred with his second in command, Liam Payne. Louis sat at the edge of the seat, hands clasped tightly between his thighs as the alpha battled bare fisted against the armed beta. He knew Harry was showing off for him, fighting without his armour.

Liam was holding nothing back, just as Harry had demanded, attacking as he would an enemy. Louis would have been concerned for the Prince's safety if he didn't know better.

Harry tactfully dodged the sword adamant at hitting him, landing blows from his fist with equal ease. Louis winced as Liam staggered back, clutching his side, but the beta merely grinned at the challenge and spun on his heel, swinging his sword along the momentum.

Harry disarmed Liam with two quick moves, pulling his left arm behind his back and locking his shoulder close to dislocating it.

"Ow, you fucker!" Liam cursed, "Alright, you win, let go!"

Harry pushed him away, laughing when Liam punched his bad shoulder in playful revenge.

"Sorcerer!" Liam called, waving his arm, "The Prince has been badly hurt. His shoulder needs instant care."

Louis rolled his eyes, walking down the steps and closer to the pair. He smirked at Harry's posturing upon his proximity.

He regarded the beta, "Yes, it was brutal the way you tackled him. He requires immediate admission into the care wards."

Liam huffed, "You both are equally bad."

"Keep practicing and one day you might actually defeat me," Harry patted his back in mock sympathy.

"Practice!" Liam huffed at the indignation, "I'm the best fighter in this nation. Well, after you, but that does not count."

"Don't be bitter about it, Liam," Louis admonished amusedly, "The Royal beta should behave with some decorum."

"I hate both of you," Liam grumbled, picking up his sword and shield, "I'm off to get some water, and I'm stabbing you straight in your shoulder in the next fight."

Louis turned to the Prince once the beta walked away, minding a careful distance between them as he asked, "Does it really hurt?"

Harry rolled his shoulder with a small wince, "Barely, nothing unmanageable."

Louis glanced to ensure no one was nearby as he spoke, "I thought you could come see me later if it still hurt."

"What? Oh," the Prince's eyes darkened and Louis laughed at his reaction.

"Yes, oh. See you later, my Prince."

He left with his head held high, pleased with the knowledge that he would be on Harry's mind as he got through the rest of his practice.

______________________________________