And the way his gaze didn't waver, or shifted in the other direction as it held mine, his intention was made perfectly clear.

He wants me out of his office.

Me.

Not that half-naked lady in his arms.

At his command, something inside of me shifted and it felt as though my heart and soul were being torn and put away in two different places. The fierce spirit I had before quickly left my body.

Trying to conceal his displeasure and embarrassment as his man failed to conform to his order, Cruz didn't even bother to look at me twice before he barked out again.

"Are you fucking deaf, Marcus?"

Both Marcus and I flinched at his voice.

It was then I decided to take responsibility in my own hand and get cracking on.

I knew, in the back of my mind, he wouldn't dare lay a hand on me. Not only because he loves me, but only because he never did.

As I stepped forward, I could hear his breath hitched.

My eyes on his. My heart in my throat.

"I need to speak with you." It wasn't a request. I made sure it didn't sound like one. I am not afraid of him. Or so I thought.

I didn't realize I had been holding my breath until Cruz proceeded to remove his arms around that woman, dropping them back to his sides where they belonged.

I waited for him to say something. Anything. And eventually, he did.

"Who the hell do you think you are?" He snarled, glaring down at me and I could feel my confidence dropping below zero.

He never looked at me like that before. His gaze was unfamiliar. Cold. Distant.

He gave a snort like the whole idea of me barging in to have a word with him was so funny.

"You need to speak with me, then call my assistance to make an appointment. Don't just barge in here, acting like you have privilege over others." He shot me a sharp, disapproving look, "Where's your manners?"

My anger mounting, and found the strength in its presence. I snapped back.

"Where's yours?"

He lifted his eyebrows slightly at that.

Addedly, Marcus and that woman beside Cruz turned visibly stiff. Their feature were like stone. From a distance, I spotted fear in her eyes. It was genuine. She was afraid of him and somehow— that made me feel kind of proud.

A familiar cold chill danced its way down the length of my spine as Cruz rounded the desk and stalked toward me, a develish glow in his eyes.

He stopped a few feet away. Unlike I had expected.

"Get. Out." He snarled. Each word filled with hatred left his lips in a rush.

I didn't even remember how even did I acquire it in the first place, but the former spirit and confidence I had are now long gone. My insecurity and fear, at one point, jumped started my misfiring brain, and how twisted it was, that I wished I hadn't been so rude to him.