Chapter Thirty

Ayla

"WATCH OUT!" The cry rang out just seconds before a ball came flying past my face.

"Brad, you ass!" A brunette with a friendly smile trotted over to retrieve the ball which had landed not too far from where I stood.

"Hey, sorry about that, I'm Liv," then she points behind me, "and that ass who almost brained you is my stepbrother, Brad."

The tall dark-haired guy who's built like a Marvel character sauntered over with a cheeky grin on his face. When he licks his lips suggestively while he looks me up and down, I knew that he's trouble.

"Sorry about that sweet cheeks," he says. He's literally towering over me. I have no doubt he could break me in half if he wanted to. It's intimidating. "You must be a freshman."

"Yeah." I replied, adjusting the backpack over my shoulder.

"Thought so. I'm sure I would have noticed you." His gaze roves across my face, taking its time.

"Which program are you in?" Liv asks, shifting to stand closer as a group of students swarmed around us.

"I'm taking up English Literature."

Her eyes widen, "Really? I'm in the same program." She held her hand out, both of us were grinning.

A couple of jocks calls out to Brad and he waves his hand at them. Turning to Liv, he said, "I gotta go. Meet me in the locker after." Then to me, "See you around, gorgeous." He winks, before jogging after his friends.

"Don't worry. He's a huge flirt but he's harmless." Liv said, beaming at me. "So, what's your schedule? I transferred in, so I don't know if we'll have the same classes."

I handed her the paper and she study it.

"Awesome. We'll have the first class and a few in the same building. Who's your academic advisor?"

I look down at my file. "It says Elizabeth Ricks."

She grimaced. "Same here. Heard she's a bitch though. Hope the rumor was wrong."

We walked through the arch field and towards Byrnes building where our first class will be.

I turn to her, "Which college did you transferred from?"

She shrugged. "Some community college in Minnesota. I'm guessing you're not a local as well. Where are you from?"

"Missouri."

She raised her eyebrow. "Were you able to get in their housing programs? I applied late so I wasn't able to get one."

"Uh, no. I'm living off campus."

She frowns, glancing at me. "Where are you staying? Brad found me this student housing apartment four blocks from campus. If you want, I can talk to my landlord to offer you the spare room."

I smiled at her. "Thank you. I really appreciate it. But I just settled in Corinthian Heights last week."

Liv suddenly stopped in the middle of the hall, her eyes boring into mine. She was looking at me like I've grown another head and I'm becoming self conscious.

I shifted awkwardly on my feet. "What?"

"Is your family like, some big hotshots in business? or were you a daughter of some super wealthy Russian Oligarch?"

I was frowning and shaking my head at her ridiculous questions. I eyed her curiously, "No, I'm not any of those. Why would you think so?"

Her eyebrows rose as she looked me over. "Honestly? You're staying in a sixty thousand monthly rental apartment, that's why."