Chapter Five

Ayla

OWEN WAS sitting across from me, lounging back on his bench. His leg was hanging over the side and he raised his head up, frowning at me, or more specifically frowning at my reaction.

"Who the fuck is texting you to get that reaction?"

I rolled my eyes and slid down in my own bench, rubbing my temples with my thumbs. He was off his chair in a second, and my phone was ripped from me.

"He's crazy." he spoke.

Before I can reply, my phone chimed in, signaling of another text.

"Damn. Your father is even worse." he shoved the phone back to me before leaning back to his seat in a huff. I read the text.

Father: Derek mentions about your dinner this Friday. Don't embarrass me any more than you already did, Ayla.

Throwing the phone inside my bag, I said, "I ditched him several times for the past week. He just can't take a fucking hint."

He reached over and plucked a chip out of the bag on my tray. "Don't worry, babe. You'd be hundred miles away from him in two weeks."

"Are you sure you can't come with me right after graduation?" I asks as I reach for my muffins. It was lunch and we got ourselves a corner table which is our usual spot in the school's outdoor pavilion.

"I can't. Mom will be taking me to this two-week workshop in Cali." he replies, a sad smile pulling at his mouth. Then his expression turn to a full one eighty. Squinting his blue eyes at me, "I wasn't able to attend last Sunday, did something happen?"

My cheeks heated, and I hid the lower part of my face behind the foam cup. His eyes widen, his blue orbs looking at me like I've grown another head. "Holy cow. You bitch. He sure love to play with the devil huh."

I bit my lip, thinking about how I had recklessly spread my legs for Kade last time. "Actually, I –"

"How's Kade? Give us the deets, sis." a voice cut through and I turned my head to the right and saw Arabella and her sidekicks, Kelsey and Gia beside her. They stood just a few feet away with their back to us, a large bushes of daffodils planted between our table and where they stood. I was frozen on my seat, feeling the usual cold, numb wall sliding over me.

She whipped her golden hair over her shoulder twice,"God, you guys had no idea. He knew how to give me pleasure like no one else. Last night, he made me come over and over again. We went at it like animals. In his freaking garage! Can you believe it? But then he would make sweet, slow, and passionate love and then he'll start all over again. I'm still sore to be honest."

One of the girls let out a squeal of excitement, I don't know who because I was already looking down on my lap. I heard them walk off, their voice drifting away until I can no longer heard it. I thought it's impossible to feel your heart breaking. But I did. I can actually feel that final thump in my chest before the actual pain starts to set in.

"Ayla..." Owen pulled me against his side as he dropped on the bench next to me.

He remained silent like I knew he would, just hugging me tightly. Because that's just Owen. We knew each other. Sometimes, silence is the best comfort you can give and I'm grateful for that. I knew Kade Sinclair was no good, and I went there anyway. This was all my fault. I had to own the fact that I got in bed with the devil, willingly, knowing he'd ruin me, eventually.

~

For the next three days, I didn't come home. Owen and I went to their beach house two towns over and we spent the days stuffing our faces with delicious meals made by his Aunt Mae. In the afternoon, we'd go surfing and drooled over some hot guys while sipping margaritas. On our last night, Owen dragged me to a local club and he lets me drank myself into stupor. Once, a guy who introduced himself as Carter, a tall man with shaggy hair and a tan I could never even hope to achieve who I swear could be a Sean O'Pry's brother, approached us and began flirting with me.

I actually choke on my drink when he suddenly ask for my number and Owen hits me on the back while he smiles up at the guy. "Sorry bro. She has a lot of shit in her plate right now. She'll give you a call when the position becomes available." He plucks Carter's phone and proceed to dial a number before shoving it back to him. Carter laughed, giving me a lingering look before sauntering back to his friends who all looking in our way.

"Oh God. I can't believe that just happen." I whisper drunkenly. "Why did you do that?"

Even though the guy is undeniably good looking, he still stirred nothing in me unlike someone.

Owen rolls his eyes. "I might be livid with Kade right now but I also don't want you jumping dicks before cutting off the other one. Don't worry I already save his number for future purposes."

By the time we pulled up to my house, my eyes are heavy and drooping. I waved my hand in goodbye to Owen before heading inside. I knew the house would be empty tonight because Selma called me this morning to inform me that my family are attending some event together and would be back tomorrow so most of the staff are either on a day off or at the staff house. I ignored the stab of hurt clawing my insides and assured her that I'd be fine on my own.

In the last three days that I'm away, disappoitment wash over me every time I check my phone to see if I've gotten any messages from him, but nothing.
A small part of my heart had hoped that Kade would seek me out. But I told myself that this is what I wanted. This is for the best.