Kabanata 38

I woke up without Hugo beside me. I caressed the crumpled bed sheet he laid on. Kumapit ang amoy ni Hugo sa higaan at pati sa akin. I sighed and collected myself before getting out of the bed.

Wala akong nakitang extra toothbrush sa sink ni Hugo. I was hesitant to leave and not brushing my teeth. I groaned and used Hugo’s clean toothbrush. I shrugged, I will tell him after. Bakit ba? Dati naghihiraman din naman kami ng toothbrush, isa pa, suot ko nga ang salawal niya ngayon eh.

Bumaba ako pagkatapos maghilamos at magsipilyo.

"Hugo, I used your toothbrush, is that—"

I stopped when I saw people in his sala. Namilog ang mata ko nang makita ko ang Mama ni Hugo at dalawang katulong sa gilid.

They were seated on the sala while Hugo was standing in front of them, nakapaymewang at may sinasabi ngunit nahinto nang dumating ako. Bumaba ang tingin ni Rachel Carvajal sa suot ko. She was wearing this white elegant dress and a black bag on her side. Proper and neat, as always. While I look horrible in Hugo's clothes and messy bun hair.

"It's okay…" Hugo voiced. He looked at his mother and gestured something. Tumikhim ang Mama niya at tinawag ang katulong.

Hugo went to me. I pursed my lips. My face is probably burning red right now. Nakakahiya! If I could just run back or just go home. 

"Mama paid us a visit. I prepared breakfast, do you—"

"Bakit hindi mo sinabing pupunta ang Mama mo?" bulong ko.

He licked his lips. "I didn't know she's coming over, mahal."

I paused for a second.

"Is she upset?"

"Why?"

Halos umirap ako. "Well, she might be mad at me."

He followed my nervous eyes. Kumurba ng kaunti ang labi niya. I saw his hands trying an attempt to hold my arms but it was hesitating. Sa huli, ibinaba niya iyon at tumuwid ng tayo.

"She's not mad, Nichoella, don't worry."

"Are you sure?"

Tumango siya. "If you're uncomfortable talking to her, it's fine. I'll just tell her that you're not feeling well."

"That's better," I said and peeked at his mother.

Kuryoso ang tingin sa akin ni Rachel Carvajal. Tinikom ko ang bibig ko at lumingon kay Hugo na hinihintay ang atensyon ko.

"Kakain na ako."

He clenched his jaw and licked his lips. "Do you want me to join you?"

Ilang segundo ang titigan namin. His eyes were gentle and a little bit pleasing. Hinaplos ang puso ko ng kaunti.

"It's okay. You should entertain your mom."

Hindi siya nagsalita.

Tumalikod lamang ako.

He cooked a bunch of breakfast for us. I felt bad when I saw two plates on the table with a perfectly placed spoon, fork and glass of milk.

He was looking forward to eating with me but I turned him down. I guess I'm too much in the safe zone.

Tulala ako habang kumakain. I didn't even know that I was taking so long while eating. Patapos na ako nang maabutan ako ng Mama ni Hugo sa dining table. I sat straight and didn't know what to do at first.