"Will that be all, soldier?" I asked, trying my best to mimic Arthur's arrogant lord look

He hesitated. "Yes, we'll just make sure the house is locked-"

"I will make sure the house is locked, soldier. This is my mother's house," I told him, pulling my magic out until the air around me crackled with energy. Their horses stepped back. "You may leave now."

They bowed and left. I waited until their horses were safely out of hearing distance and dropped the act. Phew.

Irene peeked from the door. "They're gone?"

"Yep," I said. "We have to do something about that box. I don't want people knowing about it."

Irene pursed her lips to the side, regarding the box in her hand. "I think I can make it invisible. But I'll have to make my sword visible again. Keeping two objects unseen at the same time is energy-consuming."

Irene's sword materialized in a sheath at her back. A frown tightened her delicate features as her magic flared, enveloping the wooden box in her hands. Between one breath and the next, the box disappeared. Yet she still had her hands up as if holding it. Very handy.

I locked the door and we joined our horses. A brief look at the sky told me sunset was approaching.

"I want to pay the village a visit, maybe tomorrow" I said, spurring my horse forward.

"Your mother's village?" Irene asked.

"Yes. She worked there for a long time. I don't know, there might be someone who knows something about her that my father doesn't."

When we finally arrived at the castle, the sun was hugging the horizon. The front yard of the castle looked busier than earlier. As we passed, people stopped and stared. A stable hand waited for us, and we entrusted the horses to her. We waited for Noah to shift back to his skin before going inside.

The castle looked more alluring under the lights of enormous chandeliers and countless sconces.

The bond buzzed, and I felt Arthur's imposing presence nearby. He stood in a corner of the hall, deep in discussion with my father. Marianno stood beside him.

My mate towered over all the hall's occupants. The few fae who lingered around, other than the guards, were dressed like aristocrats, in immaculate suits and dressy gowns. But he stood out in a simple t-shirt and cargo pants.

"You should go up," I told Irene.

She nodded her understanding.

"I'll come along," Charles said.

Irene's lips twitched, but she held back her snarl of annoyance and walked beside Charles, her arm stiff by her side, the invisible wooden box held under it.

Arthur turned, his eyes met mine and I felt the impact in my very soul. I breathed out, my muscles relaxing. It was scary how his simple presence made me feel safer. I really shouldn't let my guard down around here. There were too many hostile parties. Even now, the looks of the guards and the castle guests made my sword hand itch.

A whisper floated to my ears.

"...An abomination."

I trudged on. Apparently, they didn't know that my senses were closer to those of a vampire than a fae. Hmm, maybe I could use that to my advantage.

"Does it not bother you?" Noah asked as we made our way through the hall.

"What?"

"The hostility," he replied. "This is supposed to be your home, in a way."