CHAPTER 29: Prepare Yourselves

Comenzar desde el principio

"Paxton, stop fighting. Deep breaths, captain. In and out. Follow me, breathe in. Breathe out," Nicky speaks calmly.

I struggle against them and hear other personnel from outside holding me down. Five grown adults are on top of me. I see a nurse making her way toward me with a needle and that enrages me even more.

"Stop! Just let her tire herself. Put that away," Asher commands the doctor.

"It's a sedative, she will be out for maybe a few hours. It's harmless, right now you need to back up sir, and let me do my job," the nurse tells Asher.

"We don't have a few hours. We need her awake. So, don't step any closer with that thing or I swear I will unlock her. Then, you will have me and her to deal with," Asher puffs out his chest over the poor lady who is barely five-foot-three.

And I did eventually calm down enough for them to let me go.

"I'm sorry," I solemnly apologize. My head is throbbing and my entire body is sweating out feverishly.

Asher and Nicky come on each of my sides and wrap me in a comforting embrace, while Joy is reciting for me to take breaths.

"Hey, there ya are. Feeling better?" Nicky asks and I nod, "Yeah, I am so sorry. That was-"

"AWESOME. Beast mode is insane. I mean you were ready to fight against five of us. I would swoon if someone did that for me," Joy chuckles, and I smirk at Nicky, "Yeah, I might know someone who could probably throw double and she's sing-". Smack.

Nicky covers my mouth and I laugh in her hand, "Oh, look. She is back. Let's get back on topic."

"Behold, Exhibit ****. The phone used by Shard to communicate with his employers and where we found our resource," Joy shows a picture of a burner phone and the message for Chrysos to be brought to the Atlantic Ocean. The next photo sends chills down my spine as she shows us a crude wedding invitation that looks to be crafted by a fifth grader using Google Drawing. There is no address, but it says that all information will be granted upon RSVP.

"Well of course we are going to accept the RSVP. We need the information," I said.

"Yes, but we can't rush into it. You are all barely healed and are not in the right headspace to go into a fight," Joy counteracts.

"True, but for all we know, the event can happen tomorrow or next month. We need to act fast. If we at least have a date, then we can take that time to plan and act from there," Asher said.

"I say we think on it and then vote to RSVP or we continue with utilizing the NYPD resources we have at our disposal," Nicky said.

~~~~

~TWENTY MINUTES LATER~

After a period of considering our current status, we all reconvened, ready to cast our votes.

"I say we RSVP," Asher begins.

"I second," Nicky and I chorus in unison.

We look at Joy for her vote.

"Wait, me too?" Joy points at herself.

I pat her on the shoulder, "Yeah, you're a part of our squad. Without you, we would never have gotten this far. I mean if you want. We aren't exactly NYPD, but we are intelligent."

"And stubborn. Don't forget that, but I say yes. If it were someone I really love I would not hesitate to go after them. Damn, be the risks. And what are those risks?" Joy volunteers.

"We are going against an international mafia gang called the SS Tribe, but you already knew that. Risks include getting killed, tortured, held prisoner, and disappearing without any trace. Not unless we have the information, a strategy, definitely weapons, and maybe some collaborative assistance," I brief.