Chapter Thirty-Six: Timber

Start from the beginning

"You have to cry, Korinna," Lucius said, and I couldn't believe he was even explaining this to me. It was like the tables at momentarily turned. "Marriage is supposed to be the happiest moments a woman's life."

"Yeah, because everything about this is happy-dappy," I muttered. I was about to open my mouth to sassily ask why he couldn't take one for the team and cry, but then I remembered how his father viewed emotion from him.

Now it was his turn to shoot me a long, severe look. "You've got a hundred-thousand reasons to pull your weight tonight, Korinna. Don't disappoint me."

Oh, my God, he did not just say that.

"You start ugly crying, and we'll win the whole room. Got any dead family animals you can think about?" He pinched his bottom lip with his thumb and forefinger. "Or maybe you can just think about that incoming psych grade..."

I couldn't take it anymore and turned completely toward him in my seat, thwacking his arm. "You. Arrogant, Bastard!"

"You call that a punch? Gesù Cristo." He swatted me away with a small grin, but when I didn't move, he landed a loud smack to my thigh that made me yelp. "Get your ass back in your seat, mio tesoro. You're going to go through the windshield if I crash."

My face was aflame as I plopped down, crossing my arms tight over my chest.

"I want to throw you into a pit of poisonous snakes to be bitten nine-hundred times on your dick," I muttered to the window, "but you'd survive and make a miraculous recovery like nothing even happened."

Lucius snickered under his breath, spinning the wheel with one hand as he made another turn. "So, you want me to suffer, but you need my fat cock alive and well by the end of it."

This was going to be a long car ride.

+ + +

Lucius' spirited mood seemed to deflate as we pulled into the driveway of another modernized La Notte home. I was surprised to find this house had a comfier vibe than his family's minimalistic glass castle. The amount of work their cleaner's had to do to get those massive windows sparkling was outrageously laborious to think about. But the La Notte lake house was different, it was pretty much what I expected in grand size, but with a cabin style two floor setup with a gorgeous wrap around porch. Giant pine trees weighed down with snow surrounded the home. The décor inside didn't disappoint and reminded me of something right out of a Christmas movie, and they even had a fake tree and lights up.

 I decided this weekend wouldn't be all that bad staying here.

"It's quiet." Lucius said, sliding his bag off his shoulder. "They must be in the other living room."

I noticed him slip off his dress shoes, so I took mine off too. Lucius reached to put my shoes next to his and I bonked into his head. "Merda," Lucius whispered, rubbing at his forehead. "Was that your head or a wrecking ball?"

"At least I don't have clown shoes for feet," I muttered back, as Lucius stood behind me to help me shrug out of my coat.

"You just want me to suck your toes, freak," he said huskily into my ear, and I was too flustered to respond.

"Don't you look comfy, fratello," announced a cheerful voice. Carmine stood on a glass staircase, looking like she'd stepped out a winterwear at the lake house catalogue with an all-white pants, sweater, and white fur lined vest. She was even wearing snow boots with heels. Not sure what the point of those were, but she pulled it off with her slim, model frame.