☆ Twelve ☆

CONSTANCE BANE

He fell asleep before I did.

He thought I had fallen asleep and decided to stay here.

I still had two hours before seven, until I usually got up and I don't think that I could manage to spend more time in this room with him.

Slowly getting out of bed, I tiptoed to the bathroom, quietly shutting the door behind me so as to not wake the girls up next door.

I wanted to sleep so bad but I wouldn't be able to.

I could feel my heart beating so fast and the only thing that would help was going outside.

I just wanted to go for a walk.

Washing my face and getting my hair tied up in a bun, I didn't bother changing from my pajamas and crept downstairs, putting on my boots and my warm coat before unlocking the front door and walking outside.

The air was fresh and cool, the smell of the recent rain still in the air.

The concrete of the road was dark and wet and puddles were scattered all over the place.

It was still dark but the sky had started turning into lighter hues of pink, still mixed with the dark sky as the sun was rising and the moon was setting.

Turning left, I had the sudden urge to turn left to the foresty park, so I did.

It was still so empty and quiet, no one was there, not even the birds were awake yet.

Sitting down on one of the benches, I brought my legs up, hugging myself as I shivered through my thin pajama pants.

No wonder they said February was one of the coldest months. It really was.

Closing my eyes, I placed my forehead on my knees and closed my eyes, feeling calmness overcome me with the silence.

No cars, no people, no stress.

Just me and this bench.

Was it hypocritical of me to be coming back to this park when I just had a nightmare about this place? Maybe.

Did it bring me peace for some reason? Kind of.

In some sick and twisted way, it did and I didn't really know what to think of it.

After a while, I started hearing the chirp of the birds and the first car driving close by.

The city had started to awaken and I got to wake up with it, too. At least metaphorically.

My dad would've loved this place. He would probably come here every day, before all the commotion started, by himself or with his dog that he had been wanting to buy.

He would come here and walk or run along the trail and then sit somewhere, let the dog run around, and read a random book that he would have grabbed from the little library collection that he built for himself over the years.