【 FIFTEEN 】

Start from the beginning

"Tell your Council that the first battalions are ready," she was saying. "And remind them--if they need more troops, it will take more time to grow them."

"We won't forget," Obi-Wan said with a winning smile, then bowed. "And thank you."

"Thank you," Taun We replied simply, then began to walk away as Obi-Wan and I pulled up our hoods and retreated into the pouring rain. As we approached our ships, the man turned to me.

"We need to contact the Council at once," he told me, raising his voice to be heard over the pounding rain and roaring wind. "This is much deeper than we'd originally thought, coming here."

I nodded adamantly. "I agree. We need to get this sorted out--now, before we lose the bounty hunter." I glanced meaningfully at Obi-Wan.

He nodded, reaching into his cloak and procuring his comlink device to speak into. I glanced behind us to make sure there was no one watching, and once I was satisfied, nodded toward Obi-Wan. We positioned ourselves in front of R4's camera. "R4," Obi-Wan spoke into the comlink, knowing very well that the droid would have no way of hearing us over the roaring storm. "R4, scramble code five to Coruscant, care of the old folks home!"

R4 beeped several times in agreement before opening up a mini satellite dish in the ship, aiming it towards the building we'd just come from. When he finally established a connection, he broadcasted an image of Masters Windu and Yoda, sitting before the hologram projector, and Obi-Wan began to update them of our progress.

"We have successfully made contact with the prime minister of Kamino," he reported. "They are using a bounty hunter called Jango Fett to create a clone army. Naberrie and I have a strong feeling that this bounty hunter is the assassin we are looking for."

Master Windu cocked his head thoughtfully. "Do you think these cloners are involved in the plot to assassinate Senator Amidala?"

"No, Master," Obi-Wan replied seriously. "There appears to be no motive."

Yoda narrowed his eyes slightly at us. "Do not assume anything, Obi-Wan," he instructed calmly. "The assassin, the bounty hunter may be, but clear, your mind must be, if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot."

Obi-Wan nodded. "Yes, Master."

I grabbed the comlink from Obi-Wan, deigning to take over after his failure of a conversation with our masters. "Masters, they say Master Sifo-Dyas placed an order for a clone army at the request of the Senate almost ten years ago," I informed them, watching as they exchanged wary glances, "but I was under the impression that he was killed before that." I swallowed, looking between the two wise Masters, deciding how to frame my question before speaking again. "Did the Council ever authorize the creation of a clone army?"

"No," Master Windu answered seriously. "Whoever placed that order did not have the authorization of the Jedi Council."

"Bring him here, and question him, we will," Yoda instructed.

"Yes, Masters," I said. "We will report back when we have him."

"And, Naberrie," Master Windu tacked on at the last minute, stopping me from hanging up. "Master Hollbar is back from her mission. She's hit a dead end. She'd like you to give her a call when you get the chance."

I bowed my head in agreement. "Yes, Master."

The hologram flickered out, and Obi-Wan and I looked at each other anxiously.

"He's not coming without a fight," I told Obi-Wan, sighing deeply.

"It's going to be difficult," he remarked, but I could tell he wasn't done with his sentence. He looked cautiously from my eyes to my free hand, the one that wasn't hold this comlink. He grabbed it carefully, looking me in the eyes to ask if it was okay. When I didn't say a word, he seemed to take that as his key to continue. He smiled. "But not impossible," he finally added. "Not as long as we're together."