She Didn't Mean It| Karlex

"No, Taylor. For the last time, no."
"But mom, why?" Taylor whined to her mother, "It's not that big of a deal!"
Her mother gave Taylor a warning look, "Watch your tone with me,"
Taylor could see the small streaks of grey that decorated her mom's dark brunette hair, her father had it too but there was more grey. She guessed that it was the stress running not one country, but three, and raising two kids for sixteen years.
"I am sixteen-years-old. I can take care of myself plenty." She snapped.
The older woman just rolled her eyes.
"You can't stop me, I can make my own decisions." Taylor sneered, "I hate you."
It was as if the words had completely drained her mother, physically all the seriousness in her demeanor deflated and she looked emotional strained.
"You don't mean that," She said quietly a certain desperation in her voice.
"I do."
And with a quick nod, Taylor watched as her mother quickly and quietly left the room, regret filling her.
Tyler walked in moments later.
"Hey, do you know why Mom is so upset?" He asked.
Taylor felt even worse than she already did, she didn't mean what she had said, she was just angry.
"I may have said some things. . ."
Tyler nodded, a bit surprised, "Oh."

Alex looked around the dining hall in search of his wife, Karma hadn't shown up yet, and dinner was halfway through. He turned to his children who of which were situated on one side of the table.
"Taylor, Tyler, do you know where your mother is? She's missing dinner." His lips tipped into a small frown, this was so unlike her.
Tyler looked at Taylor who slumped further down in her seat.
"Taylor?"
She sighed, "I may have said some rather. . .unkind things to her earlier."
Alex sat up straighter, "What did you say?"
She played with her napkin.
"Taylor. What did you say?" He addressed her firmly.
"That I hated her," she mumbled.
Alex rubbed a hand down his face and pressed his lips into a tight line before standing up, "I ought to go find her, you two finish up here. Taylor, we'll talk later."
She nodded.
He let the room and walked down a hallway smoothly, this always happened if Karma was upset. She didn't want anyone to perceive her as weak.
Making his way through the halls, Alex weighed his options of where she was. He walked into the dark library and looking around.
"Karma?" He called softly and heard a quiet rustle of movement from a direction. She had to be in here.
Alex make his way over and found her on one of the couches tucked away by a window overlooking the gardens. She was turned away from him but he knew she realized he was there.
He sat next to her but she didn't move, he wrapped a careful arm around her shoulders, pulling her closer. He heard her sigh softly and felt her move into him more, burying her face into his neck.
He felt the wetness from her face pressed against his skin and he held her tighter.
"I'm just like her, Alex." She murmured softly.
"You're not," He stroked her hair gently.
He knew she was referencing her mother without her needing to tell him. Since the time Karma found out she was pregnant she was worried about turning into another version of her mother, not being there and driving her children to hate her.
"Taylor didn't mean it, dear." He kissed the top of her head.
She kept quiet and Alex wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into his lap gently. He wiped her cheeks with soft fingers as she kept her eyes trained down. It wasn't often that Karma was like this, even rarer that Alex saw her in this state.
"You're nothing like her, love, you're a wonderful mother." He tried to reassure her, "She didn't mean what she said."
She moved her eyes up to his and sighed, "I know, it's just. . ." She trailed off.
"You don't have to explain yourself, dear." Alex said in a soft voice.
She nodded and laid her head on his shoulder, looking out the window of the now dark sky.
"I love you," He whispered.
She smiled, "I love you too."