Let's Go Together

Y/n nervously looked around the office of her mother. Caroline was by her desk going over some paperwork, looking up and doing a double take when she saw y/n enter. Caroline narrowed her brows, seeing the once confident girl that grew up and stood up for herself in the past couple of months was now... timid.

"Y/n" Caroline removed her glasses and stood up. Y/n cleared her throat walking towards the desk.

"Did you hear back from the record label? I know those songs weren't that good. I only had a few days to produce them. It takes a long time to learn music engineering, but with a little more practice I know I can make produce songs that will make charts." y/n said nervously rubbing her hands together.

Caroline was a bit taken back. She stayed quiet, wanting to keep hearing y/n talk.

"And if anything, I can always do acoustic versions of the song until I learn to actually produce music. And if that doesn't work then I can be an indie artist."

"Y/n..." Caroline took a breath and pulled out her laptop. She opened the files of y/n very first songs she did to show to the record label. Those songs were almost 3 years old. "W-When did we meet with the label?" Caroline asked.

"You're forgetting already" y/n chuckled. "It was only a few weeks ago." She smiled. "Hailee actually helped me write them. Did you know she is good at poetry. I told her when I get my first label, I'd take her out. If that's okay with you... I promise we won't go anywhere public and--"

"Y/n it's okay" Caroline said, almost in a whisper. "Y-you can take Hailee out, anywhere you want. And celebrate because they want to sign you" the older woman, closed her eyes, nodding her head. She could feel the tears trying to come out.

"Waits are you serious. The label liked my music." y/n jumped in excitement. "I promise I won't let my music interfere with my acting... I promise mom I'll write beautiful songs that you can listen to everyday. And when you hear my song on the radio, you can be proud of me"

"I'm already proud of you, y/n/n" Caroline swallowed thickly at the nickname that had spilled out of her mouth. A nickname she hadn't called her since she was a little girl. Caroline felt it. The tears streaming down her face. She couldn't hide it anymore.

She didn't call y/n here for a talk about the past, but rather to try and convince her to seek help, but listening to her daughter talk, asking herself how she missed the excitement and shyness of her voice. How was she so blind to see the smile spreading wide across her face, as she talked about the many songs she would write. Caroline gripped the side of her desk tightly, asking herself if the last time y/n was truly happy was in that exact moment. When was the last time she saw y/n genuinely smile like that, talk like that. Like she was high on life.

"Mom are you okay?" y/n asked worryingly. "Are you feeling sick? Do you need medicine. I can call dad see if he could bring you something to eat. I didn't see him when I came in. He's probably out with his buddies"

"No, it's okay y/n/n. No, I'm just tired." Caroline said rubbing her eyes.

"Then I should let you be. Take a break, I know you're working hard." y/n said walking around the desk and wrapping her arms around her mom. Caroline's shaky hands reached up but couldn't wrap them around the girl. She dropped her hands, as y/n pulled away. With one last gentle smile, y/n said her goodbyes and walked out the door. And when Caroline heard the soft slam of the door, Caroline finally broke down.

Her hand finding its way to the laptop, pressing play on a random song. For the first time ever, Caroline really heard her daughter sing a song she wrote so long ago.