Just Like We Were Kid

The two girls sat on the floor of the mall waiting, leaning against the plastic glass behind them. Hailee rested her head on Taylors shoulder, both trying hard not to fall asleep. Every few seconds Hailee would check her phone, munch on snacks and repeat, while Taylor just sat there playing Mario kart. The blond asked the young girl to play a few rounds with her, but Hailee wasn't in the mood.

"All your thinking is giving me a headache, Taylor. If you have something to say, just say it" Hailee sighed as she closed her eyes for a moment, surrendering to her heavy eye lids.

Taylor paused her game, placing the device down. Her best friend was right, of course. Taylor did have a lot on her mind, but nothing she thought sounded like it would come out of her mouth right. How could one tell their best friend how sorry they are for the things happening in their relationship. When the person they love is slowly dying in front of them, yet keeping a strong smile, trying hard to make the most of everything. Taylor was thinking yes, but everything she wished to say suddenly disappeared.

Hailee caught on, removing her head from the blond's shoulder. She stretched her back just a bit, before sitting up straight.

"How are things? You know with you and y/n" Taylor finally spoke up.

"Everything is--"

"Don't say fine, Hailee. I know you and I know when you are or aren't fine" Taylor gave a half smile. "Just... talk to me"

"Everything... is fine, Taylor."

"Hailee"

"Why am I the only one that believes that everything will turn out fine in the end. That y/n won't die, and we will have a family and live happily ever after like she promised we would when we were kids" Hailee rolled her eyes, standing up. She was tired of sitting, tired of hearing the news go on and on about y/n and her illness, talking about the many fans wishing her well, sending them thoughts and prayer and Hailee just wanted everything to just stop.

But how could it when nothing seemed to be going right for her up until this point. So, what made her think the future would be any different. Yet, she believed and still did. Because she was with y/n, and it was like how it always has been since they were kids. If she was with y/n she knew everything would be okay.

Taylor stood up as well.

"Do you remember, 2 months ago when you ran into the classroom crying because y/n's character had died on your favorite TV show" Hailee said, looking down at the empty levels of the mall.

"Yeah" Taylor nodded remembering how heartbroken she was. Not only was the scene emotional, but y/n's execution was the best performance the girl had given. Both girls, didn't know it at the time, but now understood how y/n was able to give everything she had to that death scene. Because in that moment it was like y/n was acting out her final moments. But instead of being shot and killed by the rival mafia gang, she was getting killed by her brain.

"That was the first day, in a long time when I thought about y/n. Like thought about her. Wondering if she was having a good day, if she was eating well, and generally happy. All those emotions I felt so long ago came crashing back and I couldn't stop it. When I got home that night, I listened to y/n's music for the first time. I remember looking up at her billboard from my balcony. She looked... so happy... healthy. For the duration on the night, I sat there in my balcony, listening to her music, both happy and upbeat, to her more heartbroken and calmer songs. All while staring at the board hoping, if I just stare a little longer, she will pop out of the board and sit with me."

Hailee took a deep breath, before clearing her throat.

"If I had known about your past relationship with y/n I wouldn't have gone all fangirl. Now I feel bad for crushing on your ex--er wife" Taylor chuckled. "Oh god, now I'm cringing at the fact you saw my y/n posters all covering my wall. And the fanfics... Hailee how can you let me just ramble on like that"