[Chapter 31] A talk to remember.

When we finish with lunch everyone goes off to different places. Out in the hallway Tris turns towards me and asks. "What are you going to do?"

"I still have four hours before my shift starts in the control room." I tell her.

"And?" She raises an eyebrow at me.

"We can do something together if..." I trail off because Marcus just rounded the corner.

"Four." He says, stopping a few steps away from us.

"What do you want?" Tris asks, folding her arms.

He looks at her then at me and I get the message, which is. "Get her to leave or you'll be the one to pay." And after seeing what he did to Evelyn I'm not in the mood for a beating.

"I'll be at the apartment." With this he goes off.

Tris turns to me and says. "It scares me every time you go home to your family."

I sigh. "It's not a choice I have."

"And now he wants me to leave because he hates me." She says.

"That and...I don't know the other reason. But he wants to talk" I explain.

She puts her arms around my neck and I draw her to me. "Don't go"

"Again. That's not a choice I have." I tell her.

She leans against me as we kiss. When we pull apart she says. "Don't let him hurt you. He's the one who deserves it, not you."

With this she goes off to look for Christina and I to the apartment. Every step I take is full of anxiety.

When I finally get there, Marcus is nowhere in sight. I heave a sigh of relief and am about to go to my room when Evelyn walks in.

"Your father was looking for you." She tells me.

"That's hardly something I would call him." I say.

A sad look crosses her face and she says. "No matter how much you hate him. He's still your father and he loves you."

I scoff. "Yeah? And is that the reason why he likes beating me up?And not to mention you too." 

"But..He believes that's what is best for you. And you can't argue with that."

"Yes. I can!" I shout at her. Tears brim her eyes and she looks away. I've never seen her like this. She's always there supporting him as he beats me.

"This isn't the first time he's beat me. And do you think I enjoy watching you get hurt?" She asks.

"Then why haven't you stopped him?" My temper's rising.

"Like I said. He thinks it's best for you." She replies.

I scoff and start to walk towards my room when a voice stops me. Marcus.

"Where do you think you're going?" He asks, his arms folded.

"Nowhere. You wanted to see me." I say.

"Yes. Yes, I did." He replies.

"What?" I ask him.

"You do not talk to your father like that. Apologise!" He barks at me.

I at once sober down. "Sorry."

"Now. Where was I? Right, I wanted to talk to you about you girlfriend."  This alerts me. "Look. I'm your father and I want what's best for you." Why does everyone keep saying that?

He continues. "You need to stop seeing this girl. She's using you. She'll use you and then dump you when she's humiliated you enough."

"She's done nothing wrong. She's a really nice girl and..." I trail off because what I feel for Tris can't be explained in words.

Marcus raises his hands. "Alright. But I warned you and NEVER forget this talk." With this  they both leave.

Did Marcus just give in to me?

Yes. He did.

This can't be good.

Sorry for the late update.