Chapter 26: Locked in the friend zone

Start from the beginning

"Well, you've improved a lot. I expected you to complain since I cracked the eggs. Thanks to that fight." Jimin says with a soft smile as he pours the egg in the pan, noticing Jungkook moves to his side, looking at him cooking.

Resting one hand on the counter, Jungkook's body is turning towards Jimin. "You know. I never hated anything about you."

"Huh?" Jimin shifts his gaze from the pan.

"I never dislike anything about you." The pair of big doe eyes are serious, staring into the crescent ones belonging to Jimin.

"Ok, but why did you always complain about wh-"

"I just want you to know that everything you do and who you are, I never dislike or hate them." Jungkook repeats in a serious manner.

Again. The staring. Again. Is Jimin sick or is it just Jungkook? Because his stomach has been twirling too much. "O-Ok."

Don't overthink it Jimin. Don't be delusional, but those big doe eyes are not helping, and Jimin can't really shift his gaze away now. Jungkook's familiar scent is hitting him through the shrimp fried eggs, being this close to Jungkook.

Staring at each other for some time without touching one another. It's like a staring contest, and both of them don't want to lose until they're interrupted.

"Jimin? Jungkook?" Jimin's mom shouts from the private living room causing the two best friends to shift their gaze away from each other.

One is scratching his nape, looking for anything on the counter to hold. The other one just focuses back on the pan so hard to hide his blush.

Clearing his throat, Jimin responds. "E-Eomma. We're here."

"You guys are still here?" Yuna asks as she reaches the kitchen area.

"Y-yeah. Where would we be?" Jimin utters.

"Oh I don't know. In bed?" She chuckles. "We have to end our party a little earlier. What are you making? Wait and what are you trying to cut, Jungkook?" Yuna asks as she lets out a chuckle, looking at the empty cutting board Jungkook is so focused on.

"Ah." Placing down the knife before scratching his nape, Jungkook can't think of any excuse.

"Is it hot in here? Why are you both looking red?"

"Maybe it's hot because I'm frying the eggs." Jimin says.

"Why is the party over so soon?" Jungkook asks.

"Well, we're going to another spontaneous divorce party tomorrow, so we should sleep." Yuna smiles.

"A divorce party?" Jimin and Jungkook speak in unison.

"Well. Divorce parties. There are two of them. The first one for brunch, and the second one for dinner."

"Whose?" Jimin asks.

"Remember my college friends Sooyoung and Patrick?"

"The couple that loves to brag how they grew up with each other and fall in love?" Jimin tilts his head.

"Right. That's them. By the way, you guys are not invited. It's adults only."

"How is that possible? They were so in love." Jimin raises his voice, glancing at the eggs that's done on the pan, turning off the stove.

"Yeah. It seems so impossible." Jungkook utters quietly.

"I know. They're the last couple we think would get a divorce."

"What happened to them?" Jungkook asks. He's actually curious.

"Well, it turns out sticking around with only one person for too long gets boring. They said they never got to explore the world without each other. They never got to be with somebody else."

"Weren't they like... so lucky they've found the love of their life? And now they're bored?" Jimin furrows his eyebrows. Can't believe the news.

"It happens, Jiminie. It seems like destiny how their families are friends, and they grew up together, but this thing does happen."

"Are they on good terms? Are they good friends after the divorce?" It's Jungkook's turn to ask.

"They both need space. I think there are more things we don't know, but it seems like they cut contact with each other for now." Yuna sighs.

cut contact with each other for now

cut contact

"Jungkook? Are you alright?" Yuna approaches, placing her hand on Jungkook's forehead.

"Y-yeah I'm totally fine. Sleep deprived I guess." Jungkook gulps before he pour water into his glass.

"You should go back and rest then. Your parents left. Sleep in the guest room if you don't want to drive." Yuna pats Jungkook's shoulder. "I'm going to bed. Your father is getting emotional over this, being scared that it will happen to us too." She rolls her eyes. "I need to comfort my baby."

Jungkook and Jimin let out a chuckle, glancing at each other.

"Good night, kids. And Jungkook, don't worry. Both of your parents are scared or affected." Yuna says before she turns around on her way upstairs.

Of course, they're not affected. Jungkook's parents are best friends, but other than that, they are business partners. It's us against all the business rivals. Jungkook remembers a lot of fights happening between his parents. They made up by giving each other company shares and business deals. That way. They never break. Business stands strong as well as their relationship.

Silent takes over the room. Jungkook doesn't know what to say about the news they just got. Don't have anything to say.

"Well, I guess that can happen." Jimin utters while putting the eggs into the plate.

"Mhm. It can happen I guess."

"I still can't believe that. They look so go-" And Jimin is not able to finish his sentence when Jungkook suddenly pulls him into a tight hug. So tight that it's overwhelming.

Inhaling Jimin's scent, Jungkook hugs even tighter. The scent he wants to keep smelling forever. The voice he wants to always keep hearing. Jungkook won't let anything get in the way of staring at those crescent eyes forever.

Therefore, stupid Jeon Jungkook utters a sentence that create the most painful feeling for the owner of those crescent eyes.

'It will never happen to us because we're always going to be best friends, Jimin. We'll be best friends forever."

-----------------

End of chapter 

A/N: XoXo