[Side Story] Gift of Life

"You're changing the throne?"

Yoohan stared dumbfoundedly at the platform where the Steward gave a pointer to the servants and mages that were in the middle of carefully moving the throne. It used to be two thrones, or just one for the Emperor most of the time.

But now there's one large—or rather, long—throne that was enough for two people.

"It's more practical isn't it?" the Emperor smirked. "With this, we don't have to move the Imperial Consort's throne back and forth. Even if I'm alone, I can just sit in the center."

Yoohan narrowed his eyes, and muttered, "That would be so~ convincing if you didn't say it while rubbing my waist."

"I'd go lower but I don't think it's appropriate now," Jay whispered in Yoohan's ear, not stopping his fingers.

"It's not appropriate here." Yoohan rolled his eyes, but not at all telling Jay to stop smoldering him from behind.

So the Emperor just lowered his head more and pressed his lips behind the younger's ear. "Too bad, I have a plan to do it on the throne at least once,"

This time, Yoohan wordlessly slapped him and walked away. Although it probably had more to do with the creeping blush on his ears.

"Where are you going?" Jay laughed, following Yoohan like a persistent puppy.

"Farda will be here in a bit," Yoohan grumbled, trying to ignore the palace staff that looked at them while hiding their fluster and giggle.

It hadn't been long since the palace was filled with anxiety and grey clouds due to the Crown Prince's disappearance and the Sacred Knight's apparent stress. Even before then, most of the palace staff found it uncomfortable working for the stiff, obnoxious Emperor and the demanding Empress.

But right after the Crown Prince came back, and the imperial couple moved to Crystal Peak, it was like sunlight pouring down after heavy rain. The new Emperor and Imperial Consort weren't even the cheerful types. Both of them looked cold and unapproachable; the Emperor smiled a lot, but there was cruelty behind it; the Imperial Consort was reserved and quiet, and even the inner palace staff rarely saw him smile.

Yet somehow, the palace no longer felt stuffy. Probably because both rulers were not the obnoxious type, and they worked as hard as the staff, strangely, making them feel like they had to work hard too. There was discipline and strict rules that needed to be adhered to, but none of it made them as miserable as when they worked for the previous monarch.

And when the two monarchs were together, it was like the spring bloomed and the garden was sunny. The cold smile turned soft and gentle, and the expressionless face turned animated. The strict and workaholic monarchs turned into two lovebirds even when they were squabbling. Unlike other aristocrats, the Emperor never hesitated on showering his spouse with affection.

There used to be a rumor that the Emperor only married the Sacred Knight for a political move, but those who saw them would beg to differ. Especially the palace staff that used to see the Emperor teasing the younger man, calling him through the orb and plate even when they were just in different rooms, and just popped up out of nowhere to plant a kiss and went on his way again.

The people who think they still had a chance to be the Emperor's concubine were either delusional or in denial.

It was just a little bit over a month, but no palace staff would be crazy enough to state otherwise. Just the fact that the Imperial Consort resided in the main palace rather than the Empress's palace was enough testament to the Emperor's obsession towards his spouse.