The New panties

"Don't you have college Today. Why are you not getting ready" Mom asked as she sipped her tea, sitting at the balcony.

"I do" I replied nervously not knowing how to let her know about the situation.

"Then, get ready, you'll be late"

It was 8:00 in the morning. I have to leave for college in 15 minutes if I don't want to miss my train. But today I am fine with even missing the most important lecture. Why?

"Mom, Actually..." I trailed of as mom looked toward me with the very Asian mom look.

"Actually 3 days back I wore the new panties you brought. It looked good so I wore it for 2 days... Continuesly. And yesterday I felt this burning sensation down there. I thought It will be fine but.. it kinda got worse. With frequent uncontrollable urination. So... I am too afraid to go to college today"

I explained everything to her in one breath. As I looked at her trying to figure out her Expression to my each word.

"Are you Insane!!!" She yelled Making me more Nervous. "Why did you wear the same panties for 2 days!!! And you're informing me about this now!!!"

"It's not that serious mom."

My mom, A not divorced but a single hard working mom. Who have worked hard and earned every single rupee always gets all too worried if any of us get sick.

Coz getting sick = Doctor = Money.

And Money for a middle class family > than anything.

"How serious then. Do we have to visit the doctor!"

"Nah mom, it will get better in 2 days."

My mom agreed to it and I bunked my college coz I was too afraid to embarrass myself infront of everyone if I fail to control my pee.

I stayed home for 2 days hoping this will get better soon. But the way the infection was worsening looked like,

More delay = More money.

So we visited the doctor. But By then my immune system started to get worse and I got a fever and a cold becoz of my stupidity of drinking ice cold water.

"So how long has it been since you have this infection" the male doctor asked

" 4 *cough*4-5 days" I replied in a tiered voice becoz of the fever.

"Has it happened before?" He enquired again

"Yeah, I had experienced a similar thing last year but it got better in 2 days."

"Hmm" he stared down at whatever he wrote down in a very doctor way while adjusting his glasses. The way he was thinking felt like he was trying to figure out how his dog that drinks milk and can be vegan . After a long pause he barked. I mean asked " Did you use any public toilet recently?"

I don't like where this question is going.

"...Yeah" I replied cautiously

"Was it clean?"

"....No"

"You used an Unclean Toilet!!" My mom yelled from the side as soon as the syllable 'N' left my mouth

"Mom! it was urgent I was not able to control it. So I just used it!"

It looked like she was figuring out whether to yell at me or the government for not keeping the toilets clean.

"And that is the reason for your infection. And now this is not just an infection there is a bacterial infection. So you bring Urine Culture reports then I'll give you medicine"

Just like that the doctor sent us away just like that. Other day I went and gave the test but becoz I still hadn't taken any medicine my 'Bacterial infection' just kept on getting worse. My fever and cold were also getting worse. I skipped college for more than a week now. I had to wear a pad around the house because there was frequent urine discharge.

My mom will collect my report today and take it to the doctor. Why mom? Because he was too afraid to ask me to visit the clinic becoz he doubted I had COVID.

Can this get any worse?

My whole body felt so sensitive. My eyes are burning because of the fever and my nose is packed becoz of the cold. I was breathing through my mouth with the headaches that felt like someone was hitting my head with a hammer and nothing felt better than the warmth of blankets that was covering my whole body.

I was just trying to relax when My phone started ringing.

'It was my Best Friend'

"Hey Bro." I said as soon as I picked the call.

"You sound dead"

"Dead doesn't sounds Dude"

"Fact, Feeling any Better?"

"You know na, your gurl is healthy as fuck. I'll be lying dead in my bed Today. But tomorrow you'll see me Dancing to BTS Baepsae."

"Well it's been a week you are lying dead. Soo.."

"Don't worry I'll be good tomorrow."

"You Better do Bitch."

"Bitch, My Body is Strong and so is my immune, I rarely fall Ill. Don't you think I'll be healthy and fit without any disease even at my mom's Age?"

"Where did this Question come from?"

"Well~ I don't know. But Who cares. I just wanted to brag about my healthy body"

"For sure Babe. Well what about your shifting work. How's it going?"

"Well. It's at Halt for now Because of my health. there is no one to help mom too. But we will be handed the keys by 17th April."

I continued to talk with her. Despite my illness. It's so weird that when I talk with her I Just feel better. Even if water is seeping through my eyes and it's getting hard to breathe but. It just feels good to have someone who will listen to you, it's soothing.

Suddenly my phone vibrated and I saw incoming call from my mom

"Bro, give me a minute. Mom's calling"

"Yeah mom?" I said, trying to sound as alive as I can, forgetting that my eyes are still watery and my nose is packed.

"I don't know how I alone am going to manage all of this. You all don't take care of yourself even a bit. Me alone where all will I run!" She started complaining her voice was on the verge of breakdown.

"What happened?" I asked, worried about her sudden outburst.

"The Lab Technician say you have Diabetes"