Chapter 41 - Let's Get Divorced

Okay, this is a long one so get ready. I'm posting earlier than usual just because I love this one ❤️

It's up there with my favourite chapters of the entire book, so I hope you all love it too 🥺❤️

If you really want to get into the feels, then prepare Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers on your Spotify. Play it when the first dance starts 🥹

Thank you for reading!! Don't forget to vote and comment ❤️

"Don't be mad at me for hijacking our first dance." He spoke into the microphone.

He grinned at my confused expression as we stood there on the dance floor surrounded by everyone.

"You've been under so much pressure with everything going on right now, Izzy. I know you wanted to plan everything properly, but you couldn't. So I decided to take on the responsibility of the first dance."

The first dance was one of the things I mentioned to Roman when I lost my mind at him on Christmas Day. I think that whole rant was caused by the after effects of being high combined with my already surging emotions and stresses.

"I wanted to surprise you by choreographing a dance for my brothers to perform for us, but Mama said no." His cute grin caused me to smile, glancing over at Elías and Lucero who looked less than impressed during his little speech.

"So since she said no, you're going to have to settle for this." He took my hand in his, handing the microphone away to someone as the lights dimmed low.

The candles that decorated all the tables around us flickered away, creating a warm and intimate atmosphere in the otherwise huge hall. All my attention was on the man in front of me as he pulled me into him, his arms snaking around my waist with my hands going to his shoulders.

From the feel of his body under my touch I could tell he was tense. The smile on his face also didn't reach his eyes, uncertainty flashing through his beautiful golden brown orbs.

Meanwhile, I was smiling at him as if he was the complete centre of my world, feeling the calmest and most serene that I'd felt in absolutely ages.

But then the music started playing and my entire body stilled, my smile dropped and tears instantly filled my eyes.

My heart plummeted at the nostalgic tune filling the air around us.

Roman watched me carefully, keeping a tight hold on me with one hand. He reached into his pocket to hand me a tissue like he knew I would need it.

"Roman I-..."

"Shh, don't talk."

He leaned in closer to me, resting his forehead against mine. I dabbed at my eyes to stop my make up from smudging. We slowly began to sway to the song, my mind drifting back to a conversation I had with Roman at the very beginning of our friendship.