Flood

The weather was horrendous. Winds whipped through the small suburban homes, uprooting trees and tearing off roof tiles. Rain came thrashing down in waves, relentlessly beating anything and everything to the ground. The poor irrigation and clogged drains turned what was a road into a swift and violent rapids. By the newly formed river stood a woman, seemingly untouched by the weather. Her gaze was fixed towards the rapids.

I raised my hand and stopped the storm, quieting the world. It's funny how absolute disasters like this turn into some of the most beautiful sights. Stagnant rain turned the sky into an ocean, each drop suspended in the air, creating a sky full of fractal patterns. I made my way over to the lady.

What happened?

She kept her gaze to the waters, and slowly lifted her hand until she pointed to the opposite edge of the road. I could not see nor sense her body where she had pointed. That may have been where she passed, but the river had decided to give her a watery grave elsewhere.

How did you end up in the river?

"My dog."

Where is the dog?

She didn't answer. She didn't have to.

I'm sorry.

"Yeah. Me too."

You did nothing wrong.

"I could've done more."

In this storm, I think you did the best you could have.

"He was so young. Just a pup, a few more days and he would've been a year old."

How did he end up in the water?

"He slid in the mud. Freaked out and fell in the water. I jumped in after him, but by the time I got a hold of him I was being thrown and tossed around. I could barely surface to breathe by the time I was thrown back under. The last thing I remember was my head hitting the inside edge of the pothole over there. Then I woke up here."

You did more than any could hope to do.

It was at this point she turned away from the river to look at me. I could tell I wasn't exactly what she was expecting, or maybe being exactly what she expected threw her off. After the initial shock and fear subsided, it became replaced by curiosity.

"Are you... the reaper?"

No. I am Death. And I am your guide.

"Where are you taking me?"

That is up to you. But I do not physically take you there. I am more of a mental guide. I only appear to those who need help moving on. Those who still have attachments here.

She looked down, and tears welled into her eyes.

"I don't have much. I lost my husband a few years back. Most of my joy came from my dog Finn. But I have a son. We... we haven't talked. In a long time. I just wish I could've seen him, just one more time. And.. and now I'll never get to."

She stood as still as the rain, the tears running faster than the water had.

"His wife just got pregnant. I'll never be able to see the baby. I won't ever be the angel's grandma. Please, you can't take me. I want to tell my son how much I love him and how proud I am of him. I know I've made mistakes, but I can set them straight. I'll do better, I promise."

I'm sorry. I truly am. But I do not decide who dies and who does not. I'm here during the transition, not the action. There's nothing I can do.

"Can you take me to him? So I can see him one last time?"

I am able to travel freely in this frozen moment, but your soul is attached to this spot. At least, for the time being.

Confusion and a sliver of hope crossed her face.

"What do you mean, for the time being?"

I do not understand the working details. But I am here to give you three options. You may pass on to whatever is next, you may stay here, as a spirit, until you are ready to move on, or I can Erase you.

"And what if I was to move on? Could I see my son from Heaven?"

I understand this to be a popular belief. But I am not aware of what is next. I just help you get there.

"And if I stayed as a spirit?"

As I understand it, you would have some limited freedom to move about. It is difficult to move around to places you have no connection to. Some choose to go back to their childhood home. Some decided to stick around family members. Others decide to attach themselves to objects. Although, many of the last kind are... undesirable characters.

A smile started to grow on her face, brightening her features. A bright spot in a cloud of pale blue.

"I can see my son. And my grandbaby."

Yes.

"Would they know I'm there?"

Depends. Many theorize that the line between this world and the next is thin. In a sense, we are the line. None can peer into the next, but in many ways we still exist in this world. There are those who are more attuned to our presence. Others are entirely unaware. It also depends on how strong your spirit is, how deep your connection to the place is, so on and so forth. I can see with more than eyes, and I can peer into your soul. I mean no disrespect, but I doubt your spirit has the strength to make its presence known to the living, except maybe to those who are keenly aware of it.

She nodded her head solemnly. Slowly rising to her feet, she brushed herself off and held her head up high to me.

"I want to stay. I want to see my family. Watch them grow up. They may not know I'm there, but perhaps they'll know it in their heart."

I understand. I wish you the best of luck.

"Will the world be frozen forever?"

No. I can stop it whenever I'd like, or whenever I leave.

"That's good. I have one last question."

Ask.

"Can you take me to my family, now that I've chosen to stay?"

Take my hand.

I released the world from its stillness, and the rain started again with a harsh slap. Lifting my hand towards her, she looked around one last time, fresh tears welling in her eyes.

"Bye Finn. I'm sorry I couldn't save you."

She put her hand in mine and disappeared from my sight. I looked around to the destroyed homes, upturned cars, and fallen trees. I was going to be there for a while.